Svc eng soon

Jalps

Just tuned my 90 convertible with only 22k mi. Now the "service eng soon" light goes on at random times and off in a moment or two. Changed the thermostat due to sticking. Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum!

The first thing that comes to mind when someone describes the problem you have is the oil pressure sending unit is failing. It is common for them to fail by momentarily spiking to max pressure and then quickly returning to normal. When that happens a warning message will flash on the dash and then go out. It happens so fast that it won't set a fault code at first then as it gets worse a code B132 will be set in diagnostics.

You can tell if the oil pressure sensor is the problem by monitoring the oil pressure closely and see if you notice a spike in the oil pressure at the same time you see the warning message flash.

The spike isn't caused by an engine defect. It is an problem internally with the sender and can be easily fixed by replacing the oil pressure sensor.

Hope this helps!

I also had the same issue with the warning light. I installed a new ignition control module and that solved the problem

• 2 months later...

Did the oil pressure sending unit and that didn't solve the problem...however about 2 yrs ago did a new ICM due to high speed miss at load and wala, solved, but now I have a low speed problem and don't want to say a miss but bogging down with terrible mileage. (Driving real slow)

Could be a number of things;

Bad Mass Air Flow Sensor

Bad Oxygen Sensor

Bad ECM/Coil Pack

Failing Catalytic Converter

However I don't believe any of the things I listed trips the service engine soon light. Is the warning still coming on?