Aftermarket speakers

Bertimus

Okay so I've been trying my best to keep everything original on my 88, but the 80s fidelity speakers are just not cutting it. What speaker upgrades have worked for y'all? Looking for plug and play situation (which is kind of hard since they're supposedly 10 ohms?) ? 

I've read that a lot of Reatta owners  that want really great speakers were very happy with Infinity Kappa speakers. They are available on Amazon. I just installed new OEM speakers from a local parts store. They have a lot to be desired. I usually drive with the windows down in nice weather so even good speakers wouldn't sound all that good. If I want to hear good music I listen to my vintage Polk SDA 2s at home.

polk2b-2.JPG

• Like 2

Lordy, I am sure my information is way out of date, since I did mine mid 90’s but, I have been happy for many years. Since the stock or even aftermarket radio heads are not super powerful, the speaker power handling and efficiency need to be well matched. 100 or 200 watt speakers make no sense being driven by 25w per channel. Look for efficiency, like over 90db at one watt at one meter or better. Get the later model brackets for the rear speakers which are 6x9. In my case, I used Polk Audio front component speaker set. Just my opinion but don’t use a coaxial speaker in the lower door, you want a mid bass like in a true component set. My rear speakers are Pioneer 6x9 coaxial. Again, look for efficiency. I doesn’t have the punch of a subwoofer, but is pretty good. Even just an amp added to boost the factory output will firm things up, pretty much what the Bose factory option with powered speakers.