Pre-buy inspection checklist

Ron Walker

Ronnie posted a link to What should I check when buying a Reatta?  but I never saw such a detailed question and answer "checklist" for a Reatta as I did in the post by oscard when he posted in October advertising his '91 convertible for sale. Not only did he detail the upgrades in his post, but he attached a checklist that seems unrivaled in detail. I copied and pasted below, and deleted the answers provided specific to his vehicle.  If you use Ronnies link and the checklist below, you'd know what to look for. Forgive the length of the below:

Year:  Body Type: Coupe or Convertible

VIN

Vehicle Location

Mileage:  Mileage considered correct? (Y/N)

I have owned this Reatta for

I am the _____ owner of this Reatta.

Title Status:  Clear/Encumbered

Any Accident History? (Y/N)

Exterior Color:  Interior Color

Paint Original? (Y/N)

Body Dents:  

Body Rust: (Y/N)

Windshield Chipped or Cracked? (Y/N)

Vent Glass Intact? (Y/N)

Rubber surround molding for windshield condition? (Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):

Outside Mirrors Intact? (Y/N)

Headlight Motors Function Correctly? (Y/N)

Tail Light Lens: (Clear/Cloudy/Cracked)

Convertible Top Material (Vinyl – Cloth – N/A)

Convertible Top Condition? (Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):

Please describe any flaws or problems with the convertible top

16 Way Seats? (Y/N)

Seat Condition? (Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor)

Interior Original? (Y/N)

Drivers interior door panel condition? (Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor)

Passengers interior door panel condition? (Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):

Center console top armrest condition? (Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):

Door weather stripping condition? (Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor)

Carpet Condition? (Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor)

Original Floor Mats? (Y/N):  Condition: (Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): 

Condition of Steering Wheel Leather (Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor)

Functional Keyless Entry? (Y/N):  Both Remotes? (Y/N): 

Problems with Electronic Dash items? (Y/N)

Power Windows Work Correctly? (Y/N)

Power Seats Work Correctly? (Y/N)

Power Door Locks Work Correctly? (Y/N)

Power Antenna Work Correctly? (Y/N)

Original Sound System? (Y/N): Factory CD Player? (90-91 only) (Y/N)

A/C Functional? (Y/N)

Has the A/C been converted from R12 to R134A? (Y/N)

Does the suspension require any attention? (Y/N)

Factory Wheel Center Caps Condition (Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):

Missing Caps? (Y/N): 

Original Engine? (Y/N):

Does Engine require attention? (Y/N)

When was last tune up?

Does the engine, cooling system, power steering, or brake system leak any fluids? (Y/N)

Original Transmission? (Y/N)

Does Transmission require attention? (Y/N)

When was last Transmission Service?

Any Transmission Leaks? (Y/N)

Have CV joints been replaced? (Y/N)

How many receipts for this vehicle's service history? (all/most/some/none)

Does the car have the owners manual portfolio? (Y/N): 

The Portfolio contains the following:

My Reatta Drives (Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor)

Hello and thank you for this forum and this very detailed list of things to look for when buying.  I'm new to this site and new to the Reatta, looking for my preference, '91/blue/black/red, coupe.  I have found a few, mostly with some damage and shying away because of the perceived high cost of parts/service.  Very attracted to the styling and build quality but it seems many are just sitting neglected for that reason, would I have to buy a parts car to keep mine on the road? Also, why the extremely wide range in pricing?  Seems the usual sources for valuation don't show much more than $500.00 for the earlier models regardless of mileage and many owners expect a king's ransom.  

I look forward to finding my Reatta, having fun and making friends.  

Thanks again,

Steve Klepinger

Welcome to the forum Steve. I'm glad you like the website and forum. It can be hard get a handle on how Reattas are priced. There are basically two groups of Reatta owners. Drivers and collectors. Reatta automobiles are the same way. You can divide them into at least three groups. Drivers like most of us have, collector cars that are rarely driven with low mileage, and parts cars. The differences in price between groups can be wide as you have found. You need to decide if you want a Reatta that you can drive and enjoy, or if you want a really nice, low mileage one that will be used primarily for car shows. Do some research on how the Reatta you want should be priced. In my opinion the best way to do that is if you have an eBay account is to go look at completed listings of Reattas that have sold. Pay no attention to the prices the sellers are asking. The amount they SOLD for is what counts. Once you have a good idea of what the Reatta you want should sell for, buy the best one you can afford. If you get a nice driver that has been well maintained you may not need a parts car. I  don't have a parts car and I have made it 13 years without one. But I do have several frequently need parts on hand that I have collected over the years in case I might need them.

Parts for the Reatta are available. Just be careful who you buy them from (some sellers will take advantage of new Reatta owners) and know what the part you need is worth so you don't overpay. And lastly, being handy with tools and can do some of the work is a big plus if you are a Reatta owner. It can be hard to find mechanics that are knowledgeable and willing to work on a Reatta. Good luck with your search!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Thank you, Ronnie.  This guy says his "friend" was driving it early last summer when it happened at about 25 MPH.  Since then, the owner has passed away but gave the present owner the car.  He told me he had since taken it for a drive in his neighborhood and it was fine but I don't put much store in that.  I can clearly see I would need a fender and possibly a new bumper if the present one can't be straightened.  Then there's the headlight and it's motor so you can see why I hesitate.  I'm totally able to do the repair myself if the fender, ect. aren't too expensive,  I don't think the hood frame or windshield have been effected but since I haven't actually seen it, I can't be sure.

Although the color isn't my favorite and I wish it had a sunroof, there aren't a whole lot out there so I'm still thinking it could be a good driver with some TLC.  By the way, the car has around 130,000 miles. The guy is only asking $1,500. and is willing to negotiate.

I'm a little confused, fun car guy. Which car are you making reference to in your post above?