Big project this spring

DAVES89

My goal as you and Ronnie know was to get to 200 HP. I won't be spending any more money to try and gain more HP. The performance gain is noticeable. I did swap in the MAF sensor from that 5xxx mile 1988 engine. Car pulls good off the line and when I "floor" it at any speed it drops down and pulls great.

I am glad I did this and hope to have this car for years...

About a month ago I swapped out a known good accumulator ball for an unknown one. When 2seater was over I forgot about that one so we didn't test it. Anyway the warning light is starting to flash, so tomorrow I put the known good one on.

Always one more thing...

Always one more thing...

That's because you are racking up more miles on your Reattas than anyone I know. :)

I'll be putting about 150 miles on mine tomorrow going to a car show. That's nothing compared to the amount of miles you drive yours.

You are right. It's always something. I hardly ever use my antenna but for some reason it has started sticking part of the way up. I guess it's getting ready to break... or maybe it already has? I sprayed the mast with WD-40 but it didn't help.

You know that's true. I put on 150 miles a week just driving around and then if I have appointments it goes to 400-600 a week. I enjoy driving them so why not?

I did the engine/tranny swap about 3 months ago and have put just shy of 6000 miles on it. And that is with it laid up a week while I got things lined up for the cam shaft bolt fiasco...

I swapped out the accumulator this morning for a known good one. The fluid was a little low so I topped it off as well after pumping to a hard pedal. Maybe being a bit low is why the other one would trip the amber warning light. Doesn't matter the swap is done. The one I took off did not have the "Made in Germany" white sticker but the one I put on did. Also the one I just put on was tested using 2seaters brake tester so I am sure I am set up now.

The low fluid sensor trips the RED warning light but it shouldn't trip the YELLOW light at the same time like low brake pressure would. Was the red light flashing as well?

No Red light never did trip. So maybe it wasn't too low. I'll be going out for a drive later to run errands. I'll see what it does then.

The Amber ABS light trips intermittantly and always goes out when I stop the car, turn it off and then restart it. It never trips when I get to 16 miles an hour [which usually means a bad sensor] but will trip while I am driving but almost never when I am braking.

I think it is the relay. While I have extra relays I think I am going to buy the relays AZron bought that have the tab to fasten them to the relay bracket on the firewall. It will "clean up" the firewall a bit and make it easy to swap them out should the need ever arise.

All these relays are original to the car and after 265,000 miles I am sure they too are getting worn out...

All these relays are original to the car and after 265,000 miles I am sure they too are getting worn out...

I think changing the relays is a good idea. I need to do the same because mine are probably original. I'll keep the old ones in the car for spares since I know they are in working order.

Hmmm, if the calculation is close, that's 180hp. I know there are several "ifs", and lacking a baseline reading from before, that's a 9% increase. Cool air is a big plus.

I forgot to account for the higher compression ratio, which according to the Wallace Racing calculators, is worth 2.75hp by itself. This would improve the engine efficiency slightly, so the calculation would be 1.34 x MAF, or 183hp approx. Small bits, yes, and the key is to do before and after using the same or matching MAF under similar conditions.

Thanks for the new information. Getting close to my goal of 190 hp. It does feel like it has more power.

I am glad I did this. I am still selling down on some excess parts and am within $500-$800 of my total expenses for this project.

I have done tranny services before [pan gasket/filter and 6 quarts of fluid] but wanted Kendall to be in on what I found when I dropped the pan. I am happy to say the fluid was red and the pan was clean so I believe I have a good working tranny behind my rebuilt engine.

So unless something unforeseen happens I believe that this project is now completed and I a very satisfied with the results. I have a noticeable HP increase due to the engine rebuild but not so much as to blow the transmisson, a dash swap to replace my cracked dash, new head liner, steering wheel, like new fog lights/cornering lampsl and front end paint.

The car looks "young" and drives like it. It was a long road and I am glad I did t, but also know that I will try to avoid an undertaking on the scale of this project again.

Thanks to my friends who helped and others who offered advice it was a job well done.

Congratulations Dave on completing all your projects. It was a big job that not everyone would tackle. You should get a lot more miles out of that Reatta.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the Red isn't quite done with me. Yesterday the outside door latch on the drivers side broke. As luck [foresight?] would have it I had a Red one in back stock from that '90 I stripped earlier this spring. About 2 hours later I was done.

I have one extra latch for each side yet in back stock but they are maroon so I think I will get them painted so I am ready for the next time.

Owning a Reatta is not for the faint of heart!

• 1 month later...

I am now at 11,000 miles since the engine/tranny swap and everything is good. There were a couple of things that popped up and needed attention, however they were not related to the swap. When I was down in Nashville and met up with Ronnie, he noticed that my "high up" brake lights weren't working. When I went to swap out the brake lights I noticed the mounting hook trim piece located just above the pass through door was cracked as was the brake light housing. So I went back to that yard near West Bend where that real nice 1990 Red/Tan is and pulled that middle panel as well as the upper brake light housing. This morning I installed them and the lights work and the panel is nicer then the one I have. So it was a nice upgrade.

I also had an issue with the red brake warning light not coming on other then during "The Show". So I swapped the pressure switch with another in inventory and now the light comes on during "The Show" as well as during the "self test" on start up. That is a good thing as I had been relying on the amber anti lock brake light as my brake warning.

I am in my last month of driving the Red for the season and will then be driving the Black through the winter. I know they are the same cars but I have a stronger attachment to the Red and will miss driving it.

Makes me already look forward to spring!

I know they are the same cars but I have a stronger attachment to the Red and will miss driving it.

That's because it has a twin in Tennessee. :)

BTW, How did the mirror work out?

I hate to say it Ronnie, but when I got home I put it on the shelf and then forgot about it. I am not sure if I want it in the 'vert or swap out the Red's mirror. The Red has the compass/auto dimming feature but the map light switches are located on the front, where the mirror you fixed for me has the map switches on the bottom of the mirror like the Reatta is.

I would prefer it in the Red, but the mount for the mirror on the one that is there is that tricky one with the friction clip.

Any tips on how to get it off?

If the one with the clip is working good I would leave it alone. I'm afraid of breaking or scratching the windshield screwing around with tying to get the mirror off. To get the clip loose I use a small screw driver but it is a tricky job to get it to release. The photo below might help.

mirror_gentex_221-rear.jpg.d2c55719d8161564d02376880fe931d0.jpg

Thanks for the pictures Ronnie! I will give it a quick try, but if it doesn't release I will leave it.

On another note maybe I should just put the Red away as just today the female end of my driver's seat belt decided not to work. Fortunately I have extras in back stock, but once again it is one more thing.

But on the other hand if I get the Black out to drive it could be more of the same only different.

Trials of trying to keep a 30 year old car on the road as a daily driver.

Heading out to Gibson's this morning for another female end to my seat belt. I like to always have an "extra" so will be getting one today. Color doesn't matter as it is in the vinyl sheath. Have to be sure to get the driver's side with the electrical lead on it. Hope I find a car with the seat forward enough to get at the bolt.

This will also give me an opportunity to see if any "new stock" came in...