Possible fuel pump issue?- weird sound when tank is low

radride90

Ok still working thru issues with this car, but i have been able to drive it daily for the last 2 weeks and have gone thru a tank of gas. running great since the new regulator and the cruise servo were replaced, 

fuel pressure is perfect now with a new regulator, but i didnt swap out the pump.  the pressure was good, 

no leak down, etc. But i have had this weird issue, where i was getting a squealing sound , it was coming from under the car in back, and gone with motor off, so ok also it would come and go while turning corner etc a few times so i thought maybe it was suspension ,but then i noticed after driving some more it was just there constant, but gone when the car was off,  -After filling the tank, it went away until i again was under a quarter tank of gas. Drove this week, and ran it low, sound came back, but now after putting a few gallons in it gone again. So any one have an idea why the pump might be doing that when fuel was low? its reading LOW On the message and just under 1/4 tank. I filled it up and it took 16 gallons, so it had about 2 gallons still there right?  weird.  is there a screen filter in the tank? My Porsche 914 has a external line filter but also a screen , like a sock that is on the outgoing line. Anway i do have a new pump sitting on the shelf, but i will have to run it down or siphon 18 gallons out of there before i drop the tank.

Phil

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/138583-fuel-leveldraw-problem/

found this discussion over on the AACA.org forum - and one other poster noticed the same thing he 

said "The second fuel gauge display just gives you a more detailed look at the remainder of your gas. My '90 coupe starts making noises in the tank, just before reading empty. I had to run out of gas once to convince myself that when the pump growls, I better feed the tank."

so its hot out and maybe pump is not getting cooled or lubed? also in that thread one person stated there is a in the tank sock or screen so at some point i will pull the tank, put in the new pump. I think my sender is fine, so i will leave that alone for a while, not really looking forward to pulling a tank. 

Phil

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Gas in the tank helps cool the pump. 

The pump is telling you that it is not happy because it is too hot and too old.... (Sh&t happens)

Your not going to spend more money by only filling up when the tank is almost empty.

The sock is doing the same job if the tank is full or down to 1/4.  It is not smart, it does not have a brain............

It is either allowing fuel flow or not.............  I would say you need to change out the pump. 

Eventually you will get stranded 110 miles from home..  (Just over your insurance tow coverage limit.....)

I'm not sure you have to pull the tank to do this...