Front alignment needed after new strut installation - specific proceedure ?

radride90

I am going to take the car over for alignment due to the amount of positive camber i have on both sides and some pulling to left as well . as  much as i attempted to 

put it in as much negative camber as i could upon tightening up the 2 retaining bolts at the knuckle/strut mounts, i could not seem to get it even to a 0 neutral camber. 

what am i missing and what should firestone know about this to complete it? i read that the small camber bolt when loosened should allow for more camber, it doesnt seem to make much of a difference. Is there a instruction or proceedure from the factory service manual available without having to purchase a manual?

Phil

I would take it to the alignment shop and get some actual numbers on it. There isn't anything special about the front end on the Reatta and if it aligned properly before the new struts, it should be no problem at Firestone

• Like 1

You might also try installing a camber bolt that will allow for somewhat more camber adjustment then the OEM bolt in the knuckle.  I like them because the  installation is so easy and once in, alignment shops do the camber adjustment as part of the alignment without any additional charge.

• Like 2

That thick rubber keeps cropping up😑 If the thick mount rubber increases the ride height it may have the effect of changing the camber toward the positive🙃 The FSM indicates the front ride height for the Reatta is already higher than its sibling, the Riviera, but I do not know how that is accomplished. I am not home so I cannot check the parts book for springs.

In my earlier post on the front strut mount, I asked RadRide if he had any issues after installing the thicker mount.  He did not reply but it now appears there may be problems with that mount.  I managed to stuff that mount on the drivers side strut but despite trying several times, I could never quite center the strut rod in the hole in the pan that sits atop the spring.  While I'm not sure how the height could affect camber, having the strut slightly askew seems a possible culprit.  Rather than ask for more trouble, I'm going to clean up and reuse the old mount on the passenger side even though it means removing the strut assembly on the driver's side to do the same.  RadRide90, did you manage to get the strut rod to center perfectly in the upper pan that acts as the upper perch for the spring using the "fat" mount?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2024 at 2:02 PM, wufibugs said:

In my earlier post on the front strut mount, I asked RadRide if he had any issues after installing the thicker mount.  He did not reply but it now appears there may be problems with that mount.  I managed to stuff that mount on the drivers side strut but despite trying several times, I could never quite center the strut rod in the hole in the pan that sits atop the spring.  While I'm not sure how the height could affect camber, having the strut slightly askew seems a possible culprit.  Rather than ask for more trouble, I'm going to clean up and reuse the old mount on the passenger side even though it means removing the strut assembly on the driver's side to do the same.  RadRide90, did you manage to get the strut rod to center perfectly in the upper pan that acts as the upper perch for the spring using the "fat" mount?

i just had the alignment done last week and i think that the thicker rubber might be an issue regarding being able to get them to spec on camber, one is barely in and one is barely out, and i think that the rubber is breaking down, i may need to pull these and replace but, where can we get the proper thickness bushings? at least they corrected all the toe issue and its now tracking straight.  still with new struts but old springs its a very cushy ride , i know they are supposed to be but probably not this much, - so add replacement springs to the list - where to buy? i can only find struts on line. - oh and as the rubber is breaking down the strut rod was but is now not in the center. i just looked last night after seeing your post, 

Phil

Edited by radride90