Electrical Issue involving BCM, Cluster, and a variety of lights

NJ727

Hello, so I recently posted about an electrical issue but thought I figured it out myself. CPS Fuse (Number 5 I believe?) was looking rough and I thought it would be the end of my issues after replacement; it was not. 

Here are some of my current electrical issues/symptoms:

-Error/Double 00 Cluster Reading (1990 Reatta)

-Non-functional trip computer (BCM was just replaced 6 months ago)

-Gear Indicator Lights not turning on when headlights are turned on

My battery is less than a year old, the grounding next to it is strong, and all the cables relating the battery are new and tight. In addition my alternator is also new; so my car is being fed plenty of juice. 

So my question for some of the Reatta elders here is; what is the correlation between these failing electrical items? Its important to note my cluster does work, but it just comes in and out at total random - specifically when its warmer out it decides to function. When cooler however, especially at night, the cluster goes into Error mode, displaying the classic double zeros and reading "error" with the ABS light to its left. Clearly something is expanding in the heat and making a connection. 

Thank you for your time, and ill keep this post updated until the issue is resolved

Edited by NJ727

So after some diagnosing, I believe my cluster/IPC is failing. I tried a new voltage regulator to be safe, and took out the Cluster unit and cleaned it off. Clearly the cold soldering on the Cluster unit is out the door as it only briefly works in high heat environments. 

As for illumination features not working and the BCM trip computer not working, Im not sure. I have seen many variables to these problems and cant seem to find an exact cause.

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty, so after replacing the entire cluster board with a refurbished one, all symptoms have ceased and are now functioning as intended.

Im not entirely sure what the correlation between the IPC, the trip computer, and gear indicator lights are, but clearly they are connected on some level. Regardless of these items affinities with the IPC; the problem has been resolved by replacing the IPC

48 minutes ago, NJ727 said:

Alrighty, so after replacing the entire cluster board with a refurbished one, all symptoms have ceased and are now functioning as intended.

Im not entirely sure what the correlation between the IPC, the trip computer, and gear indicator lights are, but clearly they are connected on some level. Regardless of these items affinities with the IPC; the problem has been resolved by replacing the IPC

how did it start? my dash just started flickering, it’s the whole gauge display , so i might be headed down this path, where did you get a refurbished unit?

was it difficult to remove?

so—- i have a battery drain, car almost didn’t start after sitting a few days, after charging battery fully the display is perfectly bright clean no flickering so i guess low voltage was my issue 

My 1990 also displays 00 and Error. Would love to fix it without paying an arm and a leg.

On 7/2/2024 at 9:43 AM, NJ727 said:

NJ727, which service did you use to get your refurb IPC?