Front Strut Mount

wufibugs

There seems to be some marketplace confusion about what strut mount fits our Reattas.  Rockauto.com and EBAY both claim that this is the proper mount for the Reatta.  

Part image

It is obvious that the rubber insulator is far thicker than the OEM setup.  After much reticence and considerable struggle, I managed to get the new strut and this mount installed on the driver's side.  After posting my concerns on AAC Reatta forum, a member there noted that he too installed this mount only to have it fail within a week.  His mechanic said this was not the correct mount and he should reuse his OEM unit, which he did.  As I stare blankly at the passenger side, I wonder whether I too should reuse my OEM mount and a new bearing, or believe the vendors who claim the above is correct and stuff it into the strut assembly as I did on the other side.

I did, however, see a mount sold as "GM Genuine 22178707", pictured below.  The view does not allow me me to tell if it is like our OEM mounts or just another one like the one pictured above. GM OEM Front Suspension-Strut Mount 22178707 - Picture 1 of 2

Has anyone on this forum changed their front strut mount and if so, which version did you use?

• Like 1

i just installed these with my new struts on the front this past week, they are a bit thicker but compress some once installed and in place i think our old ones are well worn and compressed. They seemed to go in just fine for me. 

Phil

I guess only time will tell whether your installation holds up or fails as did KTEDSEL's.  If it does, maybe I'll muscle the new one into the passenger side.  No issues with aligning or driveability? 

Radride90, have you had any issues at all with the thicker mounts?  Surely we are not the only Reatta owners to have faced the dilemma of whether to use the thicker mount vs. reusing the old one?  I have to make that decision in the next few days and could use some reassurance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2024 at 2:49 PM, wufibugs said:

Radride90, have you had any issues at all with the thicker mounts?  Surely we are not the only Reatta owners to have faced the dilemma of whether to use the thicker mount vs. reusing the old one?  I have to make that decision in the next few days and could use some reassurance.

well guess what, issue i am having is that top part of this kit from Rock auto didn’t hold up, not sure about the round bearing thing or that thick gasket, i will see when i pull this to inspect closely, but the top part that sits above the bearing and bushing where the strut spindle goes thru and it bolts down is failing so the spindle is moving around and clinking very loudly- i ordered this same parts from AC Delco, i am hoping that top plate design and the bushing inside it is a better quality, and that the other one under that holds the round bearing that is much taller in the aftermarket version  will be of stock height. i will find out tomorrow when it comes 

Boy that's strange.  The part of the strut mount that bolts to the shock tower and centers the strut rod looks pretty much identical to the OEM.  I am guessing that if we don't align the spring on the strut perches exactly as they need to be, it's going to offset the strut rod.  Given the forces at play there, it won't take long for the rod to destroy the top mount. Far as I can tell the only way to get it right is to mark the spring and the old strut before disassembly because once the spring is compressed with our DIY spring compressors for reassembly, it's pretty much impossible to tell how it's going to line up once the compressors are released.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wufibugs said:

Boy that's strange.  The part of the strut mount that bolts to the shock tower and centers the strut rod looks pretty much identical to the OEM.  I am guessing that if we don't align the spring on the strut perches exactly as they need to be, it's going to offset the strut rod.  Given the forces at play there, it won't take long for the rod to destroy the top mount. Far as I can tell the only way to get it right is to mark the spring and the old strut before disassembly because once the spring is compressed with our DIY spring compressors for reassembly, it's pretty much impossible to tell how it's going to line up once the compressors are released.  

i think you may be right, but it really got bad after the firestorm aligning it,  but i probably didn had it quite right, IDK,

but i re did it yesterday and its centered now on each side and my wheels are at 0 camber , i made sure to mark the springs and retainer to keep it in line, but the AC Delco branded parts also have a very tall bushing.