AC question- system does not go into MAX AC mode

radride90

so another issue, relearning about the Reatta, 

i noticed the day i picked up the car that it didnt seem to go into MAX AC mode. 

I read that if you lower the temp to 60 degree it should at that point automatically 

move to MAX setting and the screen icon that shows outside air with the arrow should

change to being a lower arrow indicating recirculate air not drawing in outside air. 

this does not happen. Any one have an idea as to why this does not occur? i do think it needs a bit of a 

charge, its not super cold and i know my last Reatta once we installed a new compressor with 134a conversion 

it was nice and cold even on the hottest days here in South Carolina. 

Any trouble shooting suggestion are appreciated. 

Phil

Does it do max ac if selected manually?

20 minutes ago, 2seater said:

Does it do max ac if selected manually?

how do you select the max ac manually on the 1990 model? i was not seeing that on the buttons. 

Posted (edited)

On the 1989's, I think when you adjust the temp down below 65 degrees, the display states "Max Cool" or "Max AC"

Edited by rogold
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

My '89 does what rogold says. Otherwise, the climate control screen on the CRT does not have a max cool setting.

13 hours ago, rogold said:

On the 1989's, I think when you adjust the temp down below 65 degrees, the display states "Max Cool" or "Max AC"

right , so when i lower it to 60 , it should do that automatically but does not, so thats what i am wondering, is there a known reason why this would not operate correctly. the max setting would be nice its in the 90's here now. .....

I'm not familiar with how a '90 HVAC operates. How can you tell if it is in Max Cool? Is there and indicator light on the control panel or something that tells you or does it have a digital readout to let you know like earlier models?

21 hours ago, radride90 said:

how do you select the max ac manually on the 1990 model? i was not seeing that on the buttons. 

My bad 😞. I was away from home and must have remembered a different car. I just checked my 90 and if I adjust the temperature down, the next step down from 65* is 60* and I can hear the compressor engage and the fan kicks up to a high speed, but there is no other indicator it is on max cool. The ambient in my garage at the time was only 52* so it didn’t engage based on temperature alone.

• Agree 1

I just checked my '91.  I agree w/ 2seater.  There is no notification on the HVAC unit that calls out "Max AC".  I put mine on "Auto" (I always keep it on "Auto" anyway) and dropped the temp down to 60*.  Compressor kicked in and fan runs on high.  If you turn the temp up to 90*, you'll get the same max heat situation.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2seater said:

the next step down from 65* is 60* and I can hear the compressor engage and the fan kicks up to a high speed, but there is no other indicator it is on max cool.

I believe on my '88 it did as you say when in Max Cool, but it also went into recirculate mode that made a louder noise than normal mode that pulls in fresh air.

34 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I believe on my '88 it did as you say when in Max Cool, but it also went into recirculate mode that made a louder noise than normal mode that pulls in fresh air.

I believe you are right about recirculate but there doesn't seem to be an indicator for that nor a manual control as I have seen on multiple makes.

• Agree 1

From a previous extensive reading of the service manual on this subject, and studying the duct diagrams, I came to the concusion that there is no way to turn off the outside air other than to turn the entire system off. A big thanks to GM engineers who did us another solid

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

From a previous extensive reading of the service manual on this subject, and studying the duct diagrams, I came to the concusion that there is no way to turn off the outside air other than to turn the entire system off.

Go back and read section 1B1, "Air Conditioning", one more time. I think you might have missed something. If you want to check to see if the BCM is putting your AC in MAX AC & Recirc mode, go to Diagnostics and check the number shown in BD24. Then see the chart below.

AC recerc-2.jpeg

AC recerc-1.jpeg

I remember looking at the outside air door and I do not believe it shuts off the outside air completely. I don't remember the exact details but either the door is smaller than the opening or it is porous, or something like that. I believe GM always wants at least a little positive pressure in the cabin. Maybe someone that has had this area apart can confirm.

2 minutes ago, 2seater said:

remember looking at the outside air door and I do not believe it shuts off the outside air completely.

When I look at the routing of air closely in part of the photo I circled in red above I think you are right. However, it does confirm there is a Recirculation Mode the system should go into on MAX AC. Is the door that controls that the one the is actuated by an arm that is prone to breaking and really hard to replace?

11 minutes ago, 2seater said:

believe GM always wants at least a little positive pressure in the cabin.

Yeah, on some of the GM vehicles I've owned you can't actually turn the blower motor completely off even though the switch shows it's off. It still runs on a slow speed to keep fresh air moving through the vehicle.

Note that in the circled photo, there are still two arrows coming from outside.

• Agree 1

Whoever designed this assumed the air would always be fresher outside. I guess they never got stuck in traffic behind a city bus, or drove past a hog farm 

• Haha 1

On 6/9/2024 at 1:32 PM, Ronnie said:

Yeah, on some of the GM vehicles I've owned you can't actually turn the blower motor completely off even though the switch shows it's off. It still runs on a slow speed to keep fresh air moving through the vehicle.

I believe this feature started back either in the early or mid 70's.  A friend of mine bought a new '75 Olds Cutlass and made mention that the HVAC did not totally shut off. 

Edited by ship
  • Like 1

I'll attach two photos. Mine is an '89.

First photo shows temp set at 65 degrees.

Second photo shows next coolest temp which goes to Max Cool and says so. 

No indicator to show recirculate, though the system may be doing so.

IMG_20240610_215440049_HDR.thumb.jpg.57301751b316df5e80aa855bf301aa05.jpgIMG_20240610_215403563_HDR.thumb.jpg.ac4b348a8dd0915584fa6c5b6f2e6b51.jpg

• Like 1