Idle problem

rpetry

1988 Reatta.  So I have changed the timing chain, water pump, cam position sensor and magnet, crank sensor, coil pack and controller, and IAC valve.  Today, after running to temperature, every time I slowed to a stop, the idle would drop to about 400 and sometimes the engine would die.  Other times sitting still the engine rpms would eace up to 1100 ny itself.  I did notice if I shift to neutral the engine idled just fine, 650-700, no misses ever.  If I shift back into drive, it starts idling weird  is there something at the transmission that could lose vacuum like a modulator?

34 minutes ago, rpetry said:

Today, after running to temperature, every time I slowed to a stop, the idle would drop to about 400 and sometimes the engine would die.

When this happens, will the engine idle smoothly at 700 rpm if you hold the brake with your left foot ,and hold your right foot on the gas pedal with steady pressure? There is a modulator on the transmission with a vacuum line going to it but it has vacuum at all times, not just when the transmission is in gear. You should check all the vacuum lines if you haven't done so. They are prone to rotting if they've never been changed. Check the how-to guides for the location of all the vacuum lines.

• Thanks 1

It absolutely runs smooth as silk if I hold the brake and slightly depress the accelerator. I will run through the vacuum line check and see.  Thanks so much.

Posted (edited)

I found the issue.  To answer your question, it would idle fine with my foot on the brake and other foot lightly on the accelerator.  

I looked under the hood and way down by the ac drier, the link hose to the vacuum accumulator tank was rotted and broken.  Changed it and now it runs fine.  I will be going through all these hoses this weekend. The plastic one for the climate control appears to have been changed and is in good shape.

Edited by rpetry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2