E044 Code after timing chain replacement

rpetry

I started getting this code after my timing chain replacement on my 1988 Reatta.  Just to preface, when I bought this car 2 months ago, my cam position sensor magnet had fallen out of the sprocket and I was getting the E041 code all the time.  No E044 at that time.  So since my car has 84K miles on it, I decided to just replace the timing chain, damper and water pump as well.  All is now working fine, no more malfunction codes except E044 sporadically.  I know from research many things can cause E044 to show up.  My vacuum hoses are all good, but one thing I did notice on the fuel injectors.  I have not taken them off yet, however it seems that the bottom o-rings are just sitting on the intake manifold and appear to be old.  Could a leak here cause this code sporadically?  It seems if they are not sealed good here, it could cause the computer to up the fuel mixture to more more fuel and cause it to be a little on the lean side.  I will take those off and inspect them this week and put new o-rings on them to see if that makes a difference.  I am open to other suggestions as well.

I don't see how changing the timing chain could cause that code. Since it is sporadic the culprit might be a problem with the EGR valve. The EGR has three ports and one of them could be sticking in the open position randomly causing a lean mixture. I would check the EGR first before doing all the other work you described.

BTW, you can open and close the 3 EGR solenoids using the onboard diagnostics while the engine is running to see how they respond. If you cycle them repeatedly maybe you can catch one of them sticking open when it should be closed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think if the injector rail is bolted down correctly, the injectors should be pushed into the manifold far enough to where you dont see the O-rings. Maybe a pic if what you see will help.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Since this is a recent purchase, it would be a good idea to replace the O2 sensor just as a maintenance item. The comment about the o-rings above would seem to indicate perhaps some service work was performed incorrectly as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

ROGOLD, I thought the same thing, I should not really see the o-rings so visible at the manifold if they were installed correctly.  Oddly enough, the E044 code has quit showing und the engine is running fine now.  

2SEATER - not a bad idea, I will replace the O2 sensor, it is a cheap maintenance item.

RONNIE, I will test the EGR solenoids as you described. 

Thanks to everyone for the advice.  All my auto school training was really on cars before this era that were carbureted, so I am catching up to speed on this Reatta.

• Like 1