Headlight Motor

TripleC321

A couple months ago I rebuilt both of my headlight motors. Now crank arm, rollers, etc. lights worked perfectly since then. 

starting last week, my passenger side headlight no longer comes up at all. It will still roll up and down when manually operated, but no longer operates electronically. 

since I’ve already rebuilt both motors, is there a separate relay for each motor, and the passenger side relay is bad? Or is the motor itself bad? How do I check the motor itself? I’ve verified it’s still plugged in. 

I don't think there is a relay that activates the motor. There is a headlight control module that operates them. It's possible the motor is bad but that is rare. There may be a brush inside the motor that's not making good contact with the motor commutator. Try having someone turn the manual knob as you push the button to open the doors and see if the motor tries to start running. 

I followed your suggestion, but The motor did not try to start running. Not even a sound from the motor. 

any other suggestions?

I would disconnect the motor and check the connector to see if 12 volts is getting to the motor when you try to open the doors.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Before I had a chance to check it with a multimeter, it all of a sudden started working again. 

Any ideas?

1 hour ago, TripleC321 said:

Any ideas?

Be thankful and hope the problem doesn't return. 🙂 

• Haha 1

Well this isn’t the first time this specific headlight motor has had this problem of not working for a while then all of a sudden working again. 

im going to assume it’s gonna happen again. When it does? Any suggestions to diagnose it?

Whats this about a brush inside the motor not making contact?