Oil leak after replacing timing chain

rpetry

Hi, everyone!

I replaced my timiing chain and sprockets on my 1988 Reatta yesterday, and also the chain damper which was pretty worn.  I got the newer version of the damper, because that seems to be the only part available.  Well, the engine starts with no error, however it is leaking oil like crazy on the left side of the timing cover just below the water pump.  I can see it coming out but for the life of me, I can't tell why other than there is a gap somehow.  I did notice the newer damper is slight taller than the old but not so that it should have made a difference.  Has anyone had issues with the new damper or have any ideas on why I am getting a big leak (obviously something isn't sealed there)?  I am a little forlorn about the possibility of pulling that timing cover off again as I had a heck of a time with it.  I'm guessing I'm going to have to do that.

It is no secret I do not like the new style chain damper because it fits lines up poorly on the chain, but it doesn't usually cause a direct fitment issue. There are two options for the damper, chamfered and countersunk bolts. I would bet the bolt is hitting the cover

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, rogold said:

Rock Auto shows 2 different designs, one is for a chamfered hole, one for a counterbored hole 1988 BUICK REATTA 3.8L 231cid V6 Timing Chain Guide / Damper | RockAuto

Yes, and the engine block is machined differently to accept either the counterbore or the chamfered style tensioner. I agree with 2seater that the incorrect tensioner was used and the bolt it hitting the cover.