Oil pan bolts???

sarookha

Dropped my oil pan to repair a cross-threaded drain plug.  Easiest oil pan removal I've ever done.  My 1990 seems to have the smaller starter, so clearance was plentiful.

But upon reassembly, I see that the flange bolts come in two different diameters, and amongst the thicker ones, one is slightly longer than the others.

The three skinnier bolts were easy to figure out.  But which hole does the slightly longer bolt need to go in?

Also, early on, a short strap fell off before I had a good chance to see where it was originally located (see photo).  An oil pan bolt gives a sense of scale.  It seems to have been part of the oil pan lip assembly, as those were the bolts I was removing when this fell off, and the strap is the right width to fit in the flange.  But the two holes in this strap are so far apart that they would skip a bolt in the oil pan flange itself.

IMG_8414.thumb.jpg.98b35b50e858b98b1f173a98fd6e4829.jpg

What is it for, and where does it go?

Rethreading the oil drain hole was easy, and I've never seen a cleaner oil pan floor.  Even after 70,000 miles, it was nearly spotless, with hardly any residue at all.

Don't skip the RTV dabs under the gasket, at the seams where the crank seal covers meet the block!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

That bar installs under the area covered by the oil filter adapter. It bridges over one bolt hole that is difficult to access and consequently you will be one bolt short of the total number of tapped holes in the pan rail. That bar should have a slight kink in it to apply pressure to the missing bolt. You can install a bolt in the open hole and delete the bar if desired. I think they are 1/4” SAE thread 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2seater said:

That bar installs under the area covered by the oil filter adapter. It bridges over one bolt hole that is difficult to access and consequently you will be one bolt short of the total number of tapped holes in the pan rail. That bar should have a slight kink in it to apply pressure to the missing bolt. You can install a bolt in the open hole and delete the bar if desired. I think they are 1/4” SAE thread 

That explains the missing bolt!  Thank you 🤨

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...