Floor jack hack

sarookha

When you want to use a generic automotive floor jack, but don't want to mangle your Reatta's sheet metal...

IMG_8408.jpg

IMG_8409.jpg

IMG_8410.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Good idea. I recently purchased a rubber pad for my floor jack that has notches molded into it that might serve the same purpose. I can't jack up my Mustang using the pinch welds because the pinch weld area has fiberglass ground effect parts attached to it.

The main reason I bought the rubber pad is because the K member (cradle) where you jack up the front of a Mustang is slightly angled making it easy for a floor jack to slide off if you don't use a rubber pad to provide some grip. Using the jack metal to metal is dangerous and using just a block of wood isn't recommended on the front of a Mustang like mine. The rubber gives the jack a better grip on the K member, and the the pad has a lip on the bottom to keep it from slipping off the jack. For only $8 on Amazon the rubber pad is a good addition to any floor jack.

jack pad-1.jpg

jack pad-2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I usually used the front or rear crossmember when using a floor jack. I believe in the FSM it states that the wheel jacking points are meant to be used with the emergency trunk jack. 

Ronnie, after seeing your thread, I purchased the jack pads from Amazon for the two portable car jacks that I have.  They're out for delivery today... thanks for the info. 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 9:19 AM, ar_323 said:

I usually used the front or rear crossmember when using a floor jack. I believe in the FSM it states that the wheel jacking points are meant to be used with the emergency trunk jack. 

Yes, but if you are rotating tires, for example, it's nice to be able to jack up one side of the car rather than one end of the car.

• 2 weeks later...