Brake Bleed problem

rpetry

Hi, Everyone!

I bled the brakes on my 1988 Reatta Saturday.  I followed the instructions, the back two bled perfectly with the pump on.  The front right bled perfectly as well.  The front left seems to have an obstruction, as I had to press really hard on the pedal with the bleeder valve open to get any fluid to come out.  And even then, it was VERY slow.  The car has been pulling to the right when I brake really hard, so I expected there to be an issue of some sort.  I am familiar with how brake lines work, but am new to the Teves brakes system.  Is there a proportioning valve somewhere that could be stuck?  Otherwise, my next step will be to disconnect the brake line from the master and see if there is an obstruction from the master cylinder or if it is in the brake line itself.  Any experience with this system is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

The brake hose that connects to the brake caliper could be collapsed internally shutting off fluid going to the caliper. It's not unusual for that to happen to old rubber brake hoses. That is where I would look first. You can tell if that is the problem by by breaking loose the hose from where it connects to the metal line coming from the master cylinder and see if fluid easily flows out of that connection. If it does, the hose is likely the problem.

• Agree 2

Thanks, Ronnie!  I have heard of that, never experienced it first hand.  it probably would not hurt to just replace the brake hoses on that car while I check that, they look like they might be original.  

• Agree 1

You may want to pull the bleeder out to and check it for obstruction, especially if it did not have a rubber dust cap on it to keep dirt/ water/rust out of the nipple.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update - Ronnie hit the nail on the head with this one.  I pulled the brake hose on the left front wheel and the new hose indeed fixed the problem.   It is so nice to have correct brakes again!  Thanks so much!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, rpetry said:

Update - Ronnie hit the nail on the head with this one.  I pulled the brake hose on the left front wheel and the new hose indeed fixed the problem.   It is so nice to have correct brakes again!  Thanks so much!

I get a in a lucky guess every now an then. Glad you got your  problem fixed.