New winter car

DAVES89

BTW your fear is justified because the Troféo met its end on a dark night with a deer 🦌🤦‍♂️

30 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I had that mirror with the motor inside in my '87 Olds Troféo. I'm surprised that the Reatta with the $4,000 higher price tag did not even have it as an option

What kind of motor was inside the mirror? What did it do?

On 5/1/2024 at 7:09 AM, DAVES89 said:

It really wasn't until I put my known good ignition module on that I thought it was something to do with the wiring. Before I was swapping first coils and then the ignition module and old coils and finally a known good module/coil set up that I knew something else was wrong. First test was just disconnect the harness and reattach it and it would fire. Next time wiggle the wires at the ignition module without removing the connector and it would fire. I then took a close look at the harness and saw it was only a 3' harness with 5 connectors. Went to the Buick dealer and one left in the country at $200.00. Went to Rock Auto and a Dorman was $85.00. Amazon was $110.00 for the same Dorman.

The Dorman was a nice replacement, looked to be of good quality. Only connector that gave me trouble was the crank sensor. It started going on so hard that I had Kendall make the connection as I didn't want to damage the pins on the crank sensor causing more work.

Only things I had to remove to get at everything was the engine shroud, serpentine belt, and water pump pully. Front to back time about 45 minutes. Gotta love the 3.8!

Part number for that harness?

On 5/22/2024 at 1:30 PM, Ronnie said:

What kind of motor was inside the mirror? What did it do?

It moved the glass inside, just like if you were flipping the switch from day to night. It had a photocell sensor that knew if a car came up behind you

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, sarookha said:

Part number for that harness?

This harness was for a 1999 Regal not the Reatta.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Issue has continued with the occasional cut out while driving and the very seldom no start until I cleared the codes. As a side bar the Series 2 scanner will tell one that there is a crank sensor communication issue which is a bit more then the information we get with the Reatta. At any rate I swapped out the Crank Sensor and while I was there also did the Cam Sensor. So far after about 100 miles of driving and numerous starts no issues. Will continue to drive it more then normal as I want to be sure it is fixed. I plan on heavy use this fall with work.

• Like 2

My wife's minivan has started another misfire this time on the front bank. Last time it was almost $3000. Looking for a new car. But boy are they expensive!

What causes a miss that costs $3000 to fix? Blown head gasket or something like that?

Yes vehicles are new expensive. So are the used ones if they are in decent condition. I found that out when I bought my Mustang. I paid way more than I thought I would have pay to get a nice one. 

My wife's minivan has started another misfire this time on the front bank. Last time it was almost $3000. Looking for a new car. But boy are they expensive!

First time was a cracked head on the rear bank. Now the codes are showing misfire on cylinder 1, upper oxygen sensor on bank one and loss of antifreeze.

Sounds like a head job to me...

• Sad 3
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

On another note the crank sensor looked to be the final piece of the puzzle as the car runs great now. About 300 miles and numerous starts and stops as I had a couple of longer drives of 100 miles or more plus some around town light stop and go driving.

Today will be the real test as I will drive at least 250 miles running appointments.

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

First time was a cracked head on the rear bank. Now the codes are showing misfire on cylinder 1, upper oxygen sensor on bank one and loss of antifreeze.

Sounds like a head job to me...

Traded it in today. Bought a 2024 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle. Retail price was almost 3 times what I paid for my "fixer upper" house in 1979! Traded it at the same dealer that did the first valve head. They didn't even care. It threw no codes when they read it so as far as they know it's a good running car.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

On another note the crank sensor looked to be the final piece of the puzzle as the car runs great now. About 300 miles and numerous starts and stops as I had a couple of longer drives of 100 miles or more plus some around town light stop and go driving.

Today will be the real test as I will drive at least 250 miles running appointments.

Just got back from my long day driving. 355 miles and no hiccups. Ran like a top with some long drives, short drives between appointments and numerous start and stop on the ignition. Also checked the gas mileage and got just a tad over 30 miles to the gallon. Pretty impressed!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Kendall and I [okay more Kendall] did the upper plenum, intake and other top end engine work as a preventative measure. Series 2 engines are notorious for upper engine failure. Also included were valve cover gaskets, so that was a plus. We noticed a small oil leak at both the valve covers and intake so that was a plus. Tomorrow is a radiator flush and fill. 

Then almost new tires. I was at Gibson's [my local you pick] and while there I always look at tires. Found a set of 4 Goodyear Assurance [less then 2 years old] with 10/32 thread yet on them. Looked up the specs on the tires and from the company, yep 10/32 thread so I think I did really good. Tires at Tire Rack were $116.00 each and I bought all 4 for $220.00.

Downside is once again the counter people turned over so I know absolutely no one anymore...

A 10/32 thread tire is a "new, never been used" tire in my opinion.  In February, I bought Goodyear Assurance tires 225/R6016 for my 2000 Eldorado.  They cost me $607.96 with a $60 discount from Goodyear.  You did good, Dave!

15 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Kendall and I [okay more Kendall] did the upper plenum, intake and other top end engine work as a preventative measure. Series 2 engines are notorious for upper engine failure.

It sounds like you are going down the same road I did with my Mustang by being proactive and replacing parts before they give problems. One of the common failure items on the 4.6 engine in my Mustang is the intake manifold. The original manifold was made of plastic and they were prone to cracking, especially in the front area around the thermostat. Lucky for me the previous owner noticed a coolant leak around the thermostat and took it to a dealership to have the manifold replaced. The new replacement manifold is aluminum instead of plastic around he thermostat so the new manifold should be less likely to crack.

I'm sure you have replaced all the normal wear items like belts, hoses, brakes, etc. That's what I have been doing and found that even when you do the work yourself the cost can add up pretty fast. The good news is the money spent can bring you a lot of piece of mind knowing you don't have to worry so much about old parts failing and leaving you stranded on the side of the road.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Found a set of 4 Goodyear Assurance [less then 2 years old] with 10/32 thread yet on them. Looked up the specs on the tires and from the company, yep 10/32 thread so I think I did really good. Tires at Tire Rack were $116.00 each and I bought all 4 for $220.00.

You got a great deal on those tires!

I'm curious about how much it cost you, or will cost you, to get them mounted and balanced on your wheels? I did it in two steps for mounting my tires that come on the Mustang on the wheels Gary gave me. First I took Gary's wheels to the place I normally buy tires and had his old tires removed so I could clean and polish the wheels. That cost me $20.00 including tax for all four.  At that time the service guy there said it would cost 25.99 + tax each to swap the tires from my old wheels to Gary's wheels when I brought them back. I thought that was high but I was already started down that road.   

When I went back and got the tires swapped to Gary's wheels I got a pleasant surprise. When I went to pay the service guy was gone and I talked to the lady who is the store manager. After looking in her computer and seeing how many sets of tires I had bought from them over the years, she told me she was only going to charge me $80.00 including tax if I could pay with cash which I did. She said she was counting the $20 I had already paid toward the total price.  So I have a total of $100 in getting my tires mounted on Gary's wheels. I don't know if that is a great price compared to other places but I'm happy with the outcome.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

You got a great deal on those tires!

I'm curious about how much it cost you, or will cost you, to get them mounted and balanced on your wheels? I did it in two steps for mounting my tires that come on the Mustang on the wheels Gary gave me. First I took Gary's wheels to the place I normally by tires and had his old tires removed so I could clean and polish the wheels. That cost me $20.00 including tax for all four.  At that time the service guy there said it would cost 25.99 + tax each to swap the tires from my old wheels to Gary's wheels when I brought them back. I thought that was high but I was already started down that road.   

When I went back and got the tires swapped to Gary's wheels I got a pleasant surprise. When I went to pay the service guy was gone and I talked to the lady who is the store manager. After looking in her computer and seeing how many sets of tires I had bought from them over the years, she told me she was only going to charge me $80.00 including tax if I could pay with cash which I did. She said she was counting the $20 I had already paid toward the total price.  So I have a total of $100 in getting my tires mounted on Gary's wheels. I don't know if that is a great price compared to other places but I'm happy with the outcome.

I am going to Walmart. $76.00 plus tax for removal of old tires, cleaning up the bead, putting on the tar product used to enhance seal, mounting and balancing of the "new" tires  and then lifetime rotation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been buying Z-rated Goodyear Eagle GTs since the 1990s. When I went in last year to look at their brochures, they didn't have any, so I asked if I could get a price for a 1989 Reatta. First, they looked at me like I was nuts, then said they don't sell ANY tires for the car 🤯. They said they don't have many tires that small (15"). Now when I was growing up, most every car had 14" rims, so to me, 15" is the larger size, so I was a little dumbfounded. But I guess business is business, and they have to cater to the SUVs now. They were pretty excited when the car came into their garage to have a giant nail removed (4" long!). It  took them nearly 2 hours and $25 to take that nail out 🤯, but they were very careful with the car, so I was happy about that. 

Car has been running great so much so that I drive it way more then the Reatta. I now drive the Reatta on nice days.

Treating it like the collector car it is!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1