4 Strut replacement Question

ar_323

Hey guys,

i will be replacing all 4 struts in my 89 reatta.

i got a few questions for you guys:

1, are 89 and 90 front strut mounts different?

-When looking through RockAuto (RA), they list different strut mount the each year. Anchor for the 89 and Westar for 90

2, are the strut rod bushings the ones that go on the lower control arm? Or the ones that go on the polished part of the strut. I’ll be getting the dust boots for the struts that include a bushing.

3, anything else that you guys suggest me getting now that I’m doing the struts? I already changed sway bar bushings….

IMG_1609.thumb.png.f4407f28e66fae7597cacaba8d0510d0.png

IMG_1610.thumb.jpeg.990a3dca592e30d19b5e5d8983b85785.jpegIMG_1611.thumb.jpeg.ec3ad29a852a27a4f2bfd24f9677e8f2.jpegIMG_1616.jpeg.f20f4dc98aa591f989a90811eaef5ef9.jpeg

As far as I know, the upper strut/bearing mount is the same between 89 and 90. The strut itself has a different sway bar connection style so the strut body is different. There are no strut rod bushings on the front and the part illustrated above is called the brake reaction rod by GM. I have heard it called a strut rod by others and the part illustration in the order looks like it is for the reaction rod. The rear struts do have bushings on the upper end which may or may not be included with the new strut.

Talking about the front strut I got FCS 333405 which according to RA it fits fits both years. Additionally the Monroe 71854 also shows up for both years. The only difference is the top mounts…..

In regards to the front struts, the 1988 is different then the 1989-1991. Rear struts are the same for all 4 years. The front mounts are different for 1989 to 1990 and I'm not sure why. I always thought rear mounts were the same all 4 years.

Edited by DAVES89
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

In regards to the front struts, the 1988 is different then the 1989-1991. Rear struts are the same for all 4 years. The front mounts are different for 1989 to 1990 and I'm not sure why. I always thought rear mounts were the same all 4 years.

It is a head scratcher if the struts are the same and the chassis is the same, the mount should be as well? What does the 89 sway bar end link connect to? The end links are clearly different but I don't have my car handy to look at.

1 hour ago, Philbo said:

Just be carefully if you are using suicide stick spring compressors.

Agree. The compressors with pins (blue arrows) to lock them to the springs are much safer than older ones didn't have the pins.

SAM_1780-pins.JPG

• Like 1

I looked at the E body parts book and answered part of my own question. The end link for the 86-89 sway bar attaches to the ball joint mount of the lower control arm and the 90 and up connects to the strut, much like in the rear. The parts book shows a different front strut, again, from 86-89 being the same, and 90 and up different. I suspect the later strut would be fine and just not use the sway bar link connection. The book also shows different strut mount part numbers for the same range of model years. 

Is it possible the strut rod is a different diameter from year to year? The cover on the top under the hood is the same part number, the upper and lower spring seats are the same as well, but for some reason the other parts of the upper mount are different, even the nut on the end of the strut rod?? I am pretty sure the front suspension sway bar was stiffer on the 88 and the 88 does have a different strut part number for the E97 strut. I suspect it is internally different?

The front strut on the '88 is made different from other years. Take a look at the plate below the spring perch and you can easily see a difference between it and the later models. I don't know what other differences there might be.

SAM_1775.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Finally finished doing the suspension work. The 89’ regal rear struts fit like a glove after the modification. Took the car around the block and it drives like a car now. just need to get it aligned. 

• Like 2