Thoughts on Radio Replacement - 1990 Vintage

Ronnie

Wow! I've not saw a Reatta with a big screen like that before. Is it replacing the factory radio in the dash or just mounted in front of it? Nice job.

Also wondering if you disconnected the factory tweeter or kept it in place? Most people find the sound better if you keep the tweeter and it's crossover.

alchemist
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Wow! I've not saw a Reatta with a big screen like that before. Is it replacing the factory radio in the dash or just mounted in front of it? Nice job.

Also wondering if you disconnected the factory tweeter or kept it in place? Most people find the sound better if you keep the tweeter and it's crossover.

It is replacing the factory radio.  There is a single DIN head unit and the screen mounts on a pivot on the front of what is in the radio slot.  Used a 1.5 to single DIN adapter from Metra plus all of their wiring adapters.

I left the tweeters and crossover in place.

IMG_20210613_174740026.thumb.jpg.f4cdb355f7ef9a921308c5a6b8ad5c39.jpg

Edited by alchemist
Ronnie

That's cool the way the screen fits on a swivel. Never saw one like that beflre.

Padgett

That is great for a 90-91 but would be very difficult on an 88-89 because the factory touchscream is integrated into the computers. Would pretty much need to be a Windows tablet.

dash.jpg

alchemist
19 minutes ago, Padgett said:

That is great for a 90-91 but would be very difficult on an 88-89 because the factory touchscream is integrated into the computers. Would pretty much need to be a Windows tablet.

dash.jpg

Yeah, sorry I can't help you with that one.  🙂

alchemist

What 31 year old speakers become.

IMG_20210614_173912899.jpg

• Agree 1
Padgett

Mylar speakers are much better than paper.

• Agree 1
alchemist
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Padgett said:

Mylar speakers are much better than paper.

Interesting the paper was still intact.  This is all the chunks of foam from the perimeter of the paper cone.  And yes, the new speakers are poly of some sort.

Edited by alchemist