Differences between 1988 and 1989 models

Ronnie

Love my '89 - never had the pleasure of owning or comparing with an '88. That said, my view is that the differences cited above don't appear to be a major factor in choosing between an '88 or an '89. My thought is as you've pointed out - take the model with the decent mileage if all else seems OK. 

• Agree 1

If I had to choose between the two with the same mileage and condition I would choose the '89. I like the glove box door better and the keyless entry on the '89 might add to the value on resale. I don't lock my doors so that's not a selling factor for me. 

Collectors might choose the early '88 models with suede seats, black horn buttons electric glove box just because they are unique.

As Ron Walker said, buy the best you can afford if you plan on keeping it. Especially if you don't think you can work on it yourself.

• Agree 2

I own and drive a 1988, 89 and 90. The '90 is without the CRT but has the more modern dash look. But as we have seen the CRT has made a comeback and is on most cars today. So the '90 is actually more "dated" then the '88/89. The '88 has the black horn button and suede seats [both out of the car and replaced with standard seats and sunburst horn button so looks like the '89 other then what Ronnie said about the glove box and keyless entry. 

Because the '89 is my "first" and Red [my preferred color] it is my favorite.

• Like 1

Has anyone compared the handling/driving differences between 88-89 and 90-91 models? I have driven two 1988's and two 1990's and IMO the 1988 handles better than the 1990. It's probably due to the way the steering wheel is designed but it feels like the steering is a bit lighter and tighter on my 1988 compared to my 1990. Also, I can notice the heavier weight of my 1990 convertible but I have driven a 1990 coupe too and it felt heavier than the 1988. Any thoughts? Does anybody notice the extra five HP of the 1991? Are the brakes on the 1991 more responsive because of the different system? One day I would like to test drive a 1991 to compare the differences.

I just updated the list at the top of this thread with another difference between the '88 models and later models. The '88 models have longer threads on the spindle that hold the front hubs on. About 1/2 inch of threads have to be cut off to use the seven spoke Buick and Cadillac chrome wheels and probably some others. If you don't saw off the threads the wheels will fit but the extra length of the threads will prevent the center cap from snapping all the way into the wheels.

SAM_2250.JPG

SAM_2261.JPG

• Like 2

Nice looking wheel! The various pictures of your car in the past didn't show off the "R" center cap as shown above. Nice.

Thanks! It is a center emblem from a stock wheel cap that has been cut down to fit the Cadillac center.

• Like 1

I've updated the list at the top of the page to add some information about differences in reading and programming the '88 ECM chip and later models. Thanks to 2seater for the information.

I've add the following information to the list at the top of this thread.

When I discovered the rubber boot was cracked and slinging out grease out I started searching for a replacement axle. After talking to Jim Finn I learned that I would need an axle that only fits '88 models. The axles and wheel bearings (hub) are different on '88 models from later models.  They will not interchange. The '88 axles measure about 1-1/8 inch in diameter on the splined area that goes through the bearing. The later axles are about 1-1/2 inch in diameter.

Also, the '88 axle treaded area is 1/2 inch longer than later model axles. I had to cut that 1/2 inch off to clear the center cap of my Cadillac STS chrome wheels. I had done that before when I orginally installed the STS wheels on my Reatta.

Below is a photo and text from an email Jim sent me explaining the differences. Jim was very helpful in providing information and getting me the part I needed. I highly recommend Jim for used Reatta parts.

----------------------------

Ronnie,
Here is a picture of the differences between the '88 axles and the later ones.
The '88 axles measure about 1 1/8 inch in diameter on the splined area that goes through the bearing. The later axles are about 1 1/2 inch.
( Pay no attention to the fact that one of the axles does not have the teeth on it for the ABS. That axle came from a Riviera that did not have ABS. )

Jim

axle differences 88-89.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is it possible to change to a later model knuckle or bearing to utilize later axles?

I don't know what other parts could be changed but I do know that the front strut for an '88 is different. Don't know if the strut would accept a later model knuckle or if the knuckle would accept a later model bearing. Also don't know if the splines on the transmission end of the axle are different from later models. All good questions for Jim Finn.

• Thanks 1

Ronnie, I want to swap the nicer '88 from the Black into the '89 Red. I quite sure the dash is the same but is the glove box an issue? I still want the '89 glove box in the '89 but with the '88 dash.

Dave, if you remember, you sent me a '89 glovebox and door that I installed in my '88. The '88 glovebox has the electric door release but no buttons inside the glovebox. I really like the manual latch on the '89 glovebox better than the electric latch on the '88 but you do lose quite a bit of space for storage inside the glovebox. 

It has been about 10 years since I swapped the gloveboxes so I don't remember doing it too good.  I think there might be some differences in the dashes. The '89 glovebox bolted right in. The door and latches will fit up but for some reason I had to cut off the door support on the left side of the door because it hit something inside the dash when I tried to close the door. I don't remember what it was hitting.

The '88 glovebox doesn't use the same kind of door support as the '89. You can see what I mean when you look at the photos below. If I were you I would remove the glove boxes from both cars and compare the openings carefully to see if you will run into the same problem. Cutting off the left door support isn't a problem but you need to know what you are getting into before swapping the dashes between cars.

Original '88 glovebox. Screws are sticking out to show their locations.

Glovebox (7).jpg

'89 glovebox installed in my '88 model

SAM_3570.JPG

Thanks Ronnie! Kevin [Kdirk] told me once that the dashes were the same, I was just concerned about what you had to do when you swapped in the '89 glove box. 

• Like 1

88 had four buttons  on the console, 89 had two - fuel and trunk moved inside the glove compartment. BTW can manually pop the 88 door by reaching behind the glove box from underneath, mechanism is on back.