I dodged a bullet tonight.

Ronnie

I decide to take a drive in the cool of the evening on a road that follows along the lake.  I thought I would make it back before it got dark but I misjudged how soon it would get dark and had to turn on my headlights. As I rounded a curve, and just before I crossed the river bridge going into town, I noticed a car coming toward me in the other lane swerve toward the shoulder a little.  I couldn't see too well because of the oncoming headlights in my eyes but I thought it was odd for him to do that so I laid my foot on the brake.  

Just as I started to cross the bridge I saw a dark spot in the road and I hit the brakes hard but it was too late to stop.  The dark spot in the road was a small deer laying on it's side that had already been hit. All I had time do was straddle the deer and hold on to the steering wheel. At the last second before I hit the deer I let off the brake and the front end came back up. Doing that probably saved the grill from getting busted out.  As I crossed over the deer I could feel it in the floorboards as if the deer was rolling over as it went under the car. 

I've not done a good inspection yet but all I can see my laying in front of the car is some deer hair on the frame. I was expecting the little black plastic spoiler like thing under the front to be gone and maybe some broken plastic but it doesn't appear to be damaged.  I'll know more tomorrow when I jack the car up but right now I'm really feeling lucky about the outcome. I feel really bad for the deer but I think he was probably dead when I hit him.  Normally I would have pulled over and checked to see if I could do anything but stopping on a 1/8 mile long bridge in the dark isn't a good idea.

The road I was on is notorious for deer running out in front of cars just after sunset. I knew better to be on that road after dark.   I won't make that mistake again...

• Ronnie changed the title to I dodged a bullet tonight.

Deer hits are a substantial issue in this area too, especially dusk and dawn. I am glad to hear there isn't any obvious damage. I know many people's first reaction when seeing something ahead pop the hi beams on which sure doesn't do opposing traffic any favors. ?

Lucky you Ronnie! I have always felt bad about hitting an animal. Heck I even watch out for squirrels. 2Seater is right as we have a lot of deer moving around at early morning and then again at dusk. Even when you watch for them they still can surprise you.

If the lights from the four oncoming cars hadn't hit me in the face when I rounded the curve I think I could have seen the deer in time to stop. I guess they were all bunched up together because of the deer in the road. If there had been a wide shoulder on my side of the road I might could have went around the deer. All I had on my side was a guardrail and then the bridge about 25 feet ahead.  The deer was in a bad spot where I couldn't avoid hitting him.  I guess that's the reason they call it an accident.