DAVES89

What did you do to your Reatta today?

1 hour ago, ship said:

I'm going to have to replace struts and shocks beforehand.

That's not a bad job. Good wintertime project so you don't have to get in a hurry.  Instructions are here on ROJ and I have a ton of photos on my computer if you need them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

That's not a bad job. Good wintertime project so you don't have to get in a hurry.  Instructions are here on ROJ and I have a ton of photos on my computer if you need them.

Thanks, Ronnie.  My plan is in fact to wait until fall/winter .  Not quite sure I personally will tackle the job at age 71 (vertigo) but will certainly read all about it beforehand on the ROJ (the ROJ is the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion).  I always like to be fully educated on a car repair before handing it over to a mechanic.

• Like 2

Swapped the tires and wheels from the Red to the 'vert. The 'verts tires have less then 2000 miles on them and the Red's have about 25,000. The 'verts tires show they are 3 years old so better to wear them out then run the risk of the tires breaking down...

I also had been dealing with a "chugging" with the 'vert. So yesterday after taking the car for a drive I decided to swap Mass Air Flow sensors with the Red and swapped in a different ICM/Coil Pack. Took it for another drive and that wasn't it. So rather then do anything more with a hot car I waited until this morning to swap out the Oxygen sensor. I keep a diary on what I do to my cars [I just write dates/miles/service done in the back of the owners manual] and saw that the plugs/wires/coil swap were done 7 years and 15000 miles ago, but nothing with the Oxygen Sensor. So that was next. 

Took it for another drive and that seemed to be the fix. The car runs much better, has the acceleration it used to have, and no vibration.

I also had thought maybe the catalytic converter might be going bad because of the vibration and poor acceleration, but thought "Do the easy stuff first" and that was the Oxygen sensor.

And that appears to be correct! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was running errands with the 'vert and decided on a lunch at Burger King today. As everyone knows most places are "drive through" only so I placed my order and drove up to the pay/pick up window and the guy hands me my order and says "I haven't seen you in awhile".

I didn't recognize him so I said "Do you remember me or my car"? He says "The car. I don't see too many of them come through here". 

So we both chuckled at that and I was on my way...

Edited by DAVES89
  • Haha 1

I got a text from a friend who went "junking" at a much smaller "you pull" yard near here. He said there was a white/tan Reatta out there that was still complete. So today I finally found time to get there and he was right. Still complete.

Going back tomorrow to pull the "bling" [headlight switch and Instrument cluster]. Don't really need them, but someone will some time!

• Like 2

Okay, got back from that other "You pick" yard. I was able to test them in the 'vert before buying and I found that the Instrument Panel was DOA showed "error" so that was no go. The headlight switch worked fine. It was only after I got home so I could see how the "back lighting" worked. I found that switching from dims to brights worked as did the slider switch to dim the dash lights. Only problem was that the back light bulbs did not all work. The P O thought that by scraping the button the light would shine though [I have seen this way more then once]. What I did do was remove the little bulbs through the back [without taking the switch apart]. I cleaned the contacts and installed them again and had success. I then used some black nail polish to touch up the scrapping and while it is not perfect it is very serviceable and I am now using it and will until I can get to Jim Finn to swap out a Headlight button. 

Been an interesting couple of weeks with the Red and the 'vert. First the 'vert developing driveability issues that were due to a collapsed front driver's side brake line. The blockage was so great that it seemed that the car had bad fuel injectors. It would idle fine [in Park of course] but when driving there was just no go. Swapped out the rotors, pads and both front brake lines. The difference was immediate.

Then the Red acted up. Two things at once. There is an ignition module on the column that my friend Kendall diagnosed and replaced for me. How/why I had a back up of that part I will never know. However we had another issue as well. I had little or no fuel pressure. The only way I could start the car was "whacking" the gas tank with a rubber mallet while someone was turning the key. Turned out that there was a loose connection on the fuel pump sending unit which I was able to repair.

But as long as I was in there I did have the mechanic replace the fuel pump as well [and fuel pump filter]. So as I have purchased a used fuel pump from Jim Finn [a Reatta used parts seller] I have a good used fuel pump for sale.

I paid $135.00 delivered for it and am willing to sell it for any reasonable offer. My e mail is;  lemke1044@aol.com

Sometime when it rains it pours Dave. Glad to here got them both going again.

Good luck selling the fuel pump. Feel free to start a separate topic for selling the pump. It might get more attention that way.