DAVES89

What did you do to your Reatta today?

A few years ago I had a similar problem with the idle on my Reatta while sitting at traffic lights with the car in gear. It idled smooth with the car in Park and no load on the engine and it ran smooth going down the road.  I did all the testing I could to find the problem but I couldn't pinpoint what it was. Thanks to Dave I had a spare MAF sensor and I tried it. The engine smoothed out and ran like it should.

My Reatta got a wash and wax today!  Now I can finally post some real pictures of it.

IMG_20200426_1733010.jpg

IMG_20200426_1732222.jpg

IMG_20200426_1732101.jpg

• Like 3

Good looking Reatta. Even though there are a lot of them you just can't beat red on a Reatta. 🙂

• Like 1

Coming from a guy [me] who has owned 3 Black Reattas and one Red one I still think Red looks the best.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

Coming from a guy [me] who has owned 3 Black Reattas and one Red one I still think Red looks the best.

oh man I just missed out on a black convertible before I bought this one.  It was lower miles and in almost mint shape at least from what I could tell from the pictures. All things considered I'm glad I got this one and I do like the red.  It's in pretty good shape for it's age, has about 130k miles but came with a number of problems, most of which I have fixed already.  You might notice the black door handle.  It's a non painted 1991 replacement.  I actually like the black handle look.  I want to figure out how to retrofit the 91 handle with the little bracket for the switch, because other than that they are exactly the same.  for now it opens the door.  I fixed the headlight bell cranks, turn signal canister, brake fluid flush with a new accumulator, new wheel bearings in the front and new IPC.  I absolutely love the car and it looks great in the red. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Today I wired my fans to run on high on command. Even if the air is not on the front fan runs on high when I wish. With the air on both fans will run on high.

I have tried to replicate the hood opening as seen in that red coupe, but have been unable to find a custom shop that is willing to take that project on.

Edited by jon L

I stopped by the Widow Schneider [the lady I get to store a Reatta at year round] to "summerize" her snowblower for storage she told me that at 85 she just doesn't want to keep the house anymore so will be putting it up for sale. While I am thankful for the years I got to store it there, I am also glad that I will be taking and leaving the 'vert in Texas at our winter/vacation home.

Problem is, is that there was a change in plans at our house. The Enclave is taking the next trip to Texas to haul some stuff there and the 'vert will go on the next trip which will be some time in February.

So things will be a bit tight at our house for storage.

Traded the winter 4x4 Ranger for the '90 at the cottage today. A little tardy but it feels so good to get it out for the summer and bring it home. At the same time, Reatta89 was there to remove the radio module and door speakers from my '89 "in need" car. The speakers are the originals from my '90 which I pulled out in the mid to later '90's for an aftermarket set. The stock radio had the typical capacitor popping but didn't know it at the time and swapped speakers and radio. Reatta89 is chasing a low volume issue with the left door speakers so swap everything and see what works🙂

I had been looking at the Headlight  Relay harness and LED Truck Lites I had taken out of the old Black for too long and decided to install tem in the new Black. So I started in and about 2 hours later harness and LED lights installed. Went quickly as I had done this before [the Red and the old Black]. I did have to clean up the prongs on the plugs as they were pretty green. Used plenty of dielectric grease and then wrapped all the connections with plenty of electrical tape. 

Also cleaned all the wires in the ground and power box behind the battery as that is where I wired in the harness to.

Overall a nice little project on a cool overcast day.

Very loosely applicable to this thread but not worth its own. Apparently it is all too true that as you age, it is possible to hide stuff from yourself, as I have commented before😒 Dave and I are planning to get together to test some brake parts, accumulators etc.., and I cannot find my pressure gauge setup for the brake pump. I am in the process of rearranging my garage shop and moving some operations to my basement and somehow my kit for testing has become separated, so I have just ordered the gauge, high pressure needle valve and tee to make another. It's the only sure way I know to have the missing item resurface😎

I feel your pain. For Christmas last year I asked for [and got] a headlight for hands free repair work. Promptly misplaced it and only just found it after getting another one...

• Haha 1

I guess it's just age starting to take it's toll. I do that kind of stuff all the time.

• Agree 1

On 4/12/2020 at 2:00 PM, Ronnie said:

I have one of the knife switches in my Amazon cart.  I will place an order when I come up with more things to order at the same time so I get free shipping.  Will post photos when I get it installed and let you know how well it works.

On 4/12/2020 at 11:24 AM, 2seater said:

I don't have a good suggestion to the battery disconnect switch but frankly, I don't like either of those. Perhaps more accurately, I don't care for the way they mount where the weight and possibly vibration are in the direction to loosen that battery connection bolt which is none too robust to start with. Is there as remote disconnect available where it can be solidly mounted and a short jumper from the battery to the switch? just spitballin'

Edit  I saw the knife switch on amazon and another view shows the black plastic structure is designed to be bolted to something so that switch could be remote.

I finally put in an order with Amazon and I got the battery cutoff knife switch yesterday. I installed it today. Installation was simple. The concern 2seater and I had about the weight of the  switch and cable loosening up the bolt turned out to not be a problem... at least on my car no bracket to hold the weight was needed.   The ground cable on my car is very stiff and pushes up on the switch in the direction that tightens the bolts instead of pulling down on it. It actually took a little force pushing down on the cable to get the switch mounted level. 

This seems a simple-work around for the battery draining when the car sits for long periods but it does have it's drawbacks. Each time you cut it off you loose your radio and clock settings. After it has been cut off I'm pretty sure the ECM has to go through the relearn process before the engine runs it's best again. I've not driven the car since I installed the switch. Only time will tell if it was a good decision to install a cut off switch.

Below are some photos of what comes in the box and how it looks installed on my car. I used the long bolt shown on the right. The other bolt shown screwed into the switch wasn't used.

SAM_4218.JPG

SAM_4223.JPG

SAM_4221.JPGSAM_4220.JPG

The stiff cable doing double duty looks fine 👍

I have heard that a nine volt battery fed into a lighter socket that is always hot is enough to save memory and settings. I have never tried it but sounds logical. 

• Like 1

I think the 9 volt battery would keep the settings long enough to swap out a battery or something but I don't see how it could be a long term solution.  I think a Reatta would gobble that little feller up pretty quick. 🙂

Ronnie.....that knife switch looks good......wish I had found that before I ordered/installed the screw-down type.

2seater......9volt trick is interesting.....maybe if we wire it straight to the Flux Capacitor, then it will work for a few years.  Take out every 6 months and place the 9volt terminals on your tongue, and make sure you still get a good little jolt from it.

• Like 1

I agree and have a love/hate relationship with 9volts. The do have very limited capacity just due to chemistry and construction. They are actually made of six tiny individual 1.5volt cells so there is empty space in the case and high voltage comes at a cost to capacity. Not likely a long term solution but only testing would tell

• Agree 1