replacing the steering column

fordrodsteven

Had a nice warm end of November day (55 degrees) here in Massachusetts so I decided to replace the steering column with one I bought in the beginning of September. I'm looking for a little assistance. I could keep working at it and probably figure it out but I know some here have changed steering columns and can help me. Here's where I'm at. I have the car parked and steering wheel locked. I have my replacement column and locked the wheel in the same location. I began the dis-assembly. Disconnected the battery. Disconnected the wiring harness and the other wire at the same place. I pulled the bolt from the steering shaft clamp. I removed the bolts and started to pull the column out. I found a cable still connected. I went to the manual and all it says is "disconnect the park lock cable". No instructions or pictures I can see to show how the cable is attached. How do I disconnect this cable? Like I said I can keep messing with it and figure it out but I'm just hoping someone here can give that little hint so I can just pop it apart.

I think I found what I'm looking for over at the AACA site. Barney Eaton printed out pretty clear instructions to someone in August of 2002. I'm going to head out to the garage and try it.

I don't know? His instructions said to stick a screwdriver into a slot and pull the cable from the "switch inhibitor" I tried to do something like that with absolutely no success. I saw two little phillips head screws on the part I was trying to get off the column. I removed the two screws and the whole assembly came a way from the column. Success! Now the temperature outside has dropped to 40 degrees so I came in to the house to go back and work on it later. Probably Friday because it's supposed to be back up to 50 degrees .

Too bad I was gone all day. The phillips screws are what holds it in. I think they are 7mm heads.

Complete! Good thing I inspected the replacement column before I put it in. I think they broke a wire (one of the cruise control leads) when pulling it out at the salvage yard. I fixed the wire and then put it in. I had to clean up the horn contacts to get it to work. I now have high beams again! Then I took it for a short drive to insure the cruise control functions properly. All good!

During my driving this summer I composed a list of the little things that I want to fix or adjust to make it 100%. I'll pick away at those items over the winter while also working my Thunderbird when I can. Life is good!

Congratulations on a job well done! You've done a lot of work to that car. Seems like you are finally getting where you can enjoy it. :)

Good for you to get it done. Another project done and a little troubleshooting on top of it. I know it is a bit beyond my scope of ability.

I have pulled columns but never put one in.