Engine lettering paint codes/ cleaning

Bertimus

The paint has faded a little on my engine cover lettering. I looked through the archives but couldn't find the specific red paint code. Anyone know the code? Also, what products/techniques have you found best for cleaning the engine superficially?

(Not my engine pictured, it's an example found on google) 

dsc05247.jpeg

Edited by Bertimus

• Bertimus changed the title to Engine lettering paint codes/ cleaning

Paint:

The red lettering is on the '88 only.  Any bright red model car/airplane paint should be sufficient.  For the rest of the years the lettering is black.

Engine Cleaning:

I use major auto cleaning/detailing companies' products like Meguiars', Mothers, Blue Magic, Eagle One, Simple Green, etc.  Take your time and have plenty of paper towels, soft rags, and cotton swabs on hand to do the job.

• Thanks 1

I don't throw any of my old athletic [white] socks away. I use them as "gloves" and clean with them. That way where my hand is, that is where I am cleaning.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ship said:

Paint:

The red lettering is on the '88 only.  Any bright red model car/airplane paint should be sufficient.  For the rest of the years the lettering is black.

Engine Cleaning:

I use major auto cleaning/detailing companies' products like Meguiars', Mothers, Blue Magic, Eagle One, Simple Green, etc.  Take your time and have plenty of paper towels, soft rags, and cotton swabs on hand to do the job.

Thank you for the response! I was using Meguire's and unfortunately that's what took off some of the paint. I guess it's a little too strong for 33 year old paint. I will just avoid the lettering for now and clean around it, then use some VHT universal bright red engine paint to touch it up or just repaint it all together.

UPDATE: I tracked down a "General Motors Red" engine paint by Seymour. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Seymour-EN-59-Hi-Tech-Paint-General/dp/B0088LVBUQ

Edited by Bertimus

24 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

I don't throw any of my old athletic [white] socks away. I use them as "gloves" and clean with them. That way where my hand is, that is where I am cleaning.

Great tip never thought of that, that will make it much easier for hard to reach areas! 

• Agree 1

My '89 has red lettering on the engine.  The build volume in 1989 totaled 7,009 units and mine is number 3,688 so I don't imagine that there was a hold-over between model years that spanned that number of builds. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philbo said:

Hmm I only just noticed. My engine doesn't even have the 3800 lettering. ?

20210203_222907.jpg

Looks like your don't have a cover at all ?

I've seen numerous posts of people depicting their engines from 89 up to even 90 with red lettering. Another interesting observation is that their pictures show the "3800" on the cover and not machined into the metal, unlike the 88 styling (like mine) I posted above.

Here is an example of a post from someone claiming their Reatta is a 1990 model with the alternate style cover only red lettering:

unnamed.jpg

Edited by Bertimus

I have an '89 with an '88 intake. When Kendall and I did an engine/tranny swap I found an '88 engine and swapped out the cam shaft and intake manifold.

As a result I have an extra '89-91 intake manifold cover if anyone is interested. Make an offer!

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bertimus said:

Looks like your don't have a cover at all ?

Yeah this picture is from half way through the intake manifold gasket job I am currently undertaking. Everything but the manifold itself is removed here.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Philbo said:

Yeah this picture is from half way through the intake manifold gasket job I am currently undertaking. Everything but the manifold itself is removed here.

Yeah there's seems to be variation. Some with the 3800 machined into the metal and some with it on the cover. I posted pictures of both variations above!

13 hours ago, Ron Walker said:

My '89 has red lettering on the engine.  The build volume in 1989 totaled 7,009 units and mine is number 3,688 so I don't imagine that there was a hold-over between model years that spanned that number of builds. 

Can you post a photo of the intake with the plastic cover installed?

Maybe Padgett and my assumption that only '88s had the red lettering is misguided.  Sorry about that.

• Like 1