Buick reatta code E021

Alain

Hello everyone, i own a buick  reatta  1988 everything was fine running well , ichange  the spark plug and cable wire,  and now i have  a code diagnostic    code  E021, can someone  help me how to fix it or give informations  to what to do  or check thank you.

Welcome to the forum!  E021 is a code for TPS voltage being too high. Will the engine start and run?

thank  you,it start sometime  and  run    and suddenly  shout off   but  its getting  harder to start  it  and make run   again  i check and  its say something about changing   the Tps  sensor to the connection  to the maf its say also we can adjut that   the TPS   if it is  that   part i dont mind  to buy  the part and i know the  IAC   is more for idle running fine, i can change both if its help thank  for your help

First check to see what the TPS is reading. To do that go into diagnostics like you did when you checked the codes. After it goes through the code checking process select ECM when asked. Then go to "ECM DATA" and select ED01. The throttle position voltage will be displayed. Without pressing the gas pedal the TPS reading should be about .40 volts.  What reading do you get?

As you slowly press down on the gas pedal the reading should increase smoothly all the way to wide open throttle.

diagnostics_book-5.jpg

Sorry  sir , im at work  break time... okay if i follow you  i go diagnostic  and  data  to ED01  i should read like .40 volts ,i guess the key on for current and if i depress  the pedal slowly it should increase  right and if its not  increasing does it mean  the  sensor is bad and as to be change  even if the car is not running  cause i cant make it  start run for now   i m still able to do that test okay ill check that tomorrow ill come back to you thank  you really appreciate for your help and time

1 hour ago, Alain said:

i guess the key on for current and if i depress  the pedal slowly it should increase

Correct. You must have the key on in order to enter diagnostics and you keep the key on during the process of checking the TPS voltage. The engine does not have to be running to check the voltage. 

Hello  sir  good monring, i was working until midnight last night, okay i went to check this morning  and on screen to data  its indicate   ED01   reading is  80, and if i depress the fuel pedal its increase in reading  80  is too high for sure,  so where do i go from there is there adjustment or just by another  parts sensor  tps  thank  you    for your help.

The ED01 reading is too high. First check out the connector and the wires going to the TPS to make sure they are in good condition and you have a good connection. 

Try to adjust the TPS by loosening the screws holding it on just enough so you can turn it. Then enter diagnostics and go to ED01 so you can observe the TPS voltage. Turn the TPS slowly and see if the TPS voltage changes on the diagnostics screen. If it does, try to get it down to .38 - .40 volts. If you can't change the TPS voltage you will probably need to replace the TPS and try adjusting the voltage again.

thank  you sir  one more question   do you know if i turn tps clockwise  or opposite way  ill check that as soon as i can  and come back to you. its 20 days work and only  one day off up to now as i work as a nurse thank you again for your time that s help me ,have a good day

2 hours ago, Alain said:

do you know if i turn tps clockwise  or opposite way

Just off the top of my head I don't. You will see which way you need to turn it by watching ED01 voltage in diagnostics if the TPS is in good working order.

2 hours ago, Alain said:

only  one day off up to now as i work as a nurse thank you again for your time that s help me

Thank you for all you do. I know this is a hard time to be a nurse. I'm happy to be able to help you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

good morning  sir  one day off work a little cold today outside , im going  to check  for the buick  reatta  and try to adjust the tps sensor if i can as you told me .thank for your support, yes that virus is something ,im glad  to be part of helping  people suffering ,i hope  that virus will  be over and life  get back to normal  ,have a good day

• Like 1

hello  just to do a follow up  car was outside a little cold  and  i  was able to undo  the screw  for the   sensor  ,question stupid but i just have to loose it , right  i did turn  key on   and when i turn clockwise its decrease voltage, but really sensitive   when you screw back it ,  the reading was 80   i did had .40 after  i adjust  it  but battery was dead so i need to charge it to try it  but the reading after was 1, something probably  from tight it  its change ,anyway i wait for the  battery  to charge  full and try it later,thanks  again ill come back   have a good day .

The readings you are getting may not be accurate with a dead battery. Try again with a fully charged battery. Be patient and get it adjusted properly when the screws are tight.

good morning to  you sir.  i almost  there  okay i charge the battery dont know if i will do it today really cold as the car is outside.  i f i follow you if i can adjust the sensor  to .40  do i have to do something on the screen diagnotisc data or it will register settle it self at the next starting indicating. 40 after when i check again.i know im slow and its take time  to do it but i  dont stop working  24 days  in a row   i work almost all month. that covid virus....:(

good morning   sir. sorry  delay  working overtime  so busy work, i did  follow what your instruction, i adjust tps ,it did move a little  after i will have to adjust again, the car start run seem okay, but die once  again , i bought a new tps took a chance  to change the part, question is it possible can be the sensor crank  down behind the harmonic balancer ,cant it make  stop running suddently and after  a while start  again. i have to find that intermittent problem, thanks again  for your help

3 hours ago, Alain said:

question is it possible can be the sensor crank  down behind the harmonic balancer ,cant it make  stop running suddently and after  a while start  again.

There are several things that could cause it to stop running suddenly but before moving on to something else you should get the TPS adjusted correctly. You don't mention the voltage on the new TPS. It will have to  be adjusted to .38 - .40 volts with the throttle closed. Then the voltage should steadily increase as you open the throttle. Did the code E021 go away after you installed the new TPS?

• Agree 1

Hello there  how  are you! sorry for the delay always working..  the new tps i put in   is reading fine  .40 volts as you told me the car start run  for  5 minutes and die suddenly without doing nothing, is there something else to do   crank sensor   cam sensor etc... i dont know more im lost here... thanks  sir

14 minutes ago, Alain said:

Hello there  how  are you! sorry for the delay always working..  the new tps i put in   is reading fine  .40 volts as you told me the car start run  for  5 minutes and die suddenly without doing nothing, is there something else to do   crank sensor   cam sensor etc... i dont know more im lost here... thanks  sir

If the TPS is working properly and assuming the code E021 is gone, I think your next step should be getting a fuel pressure tester to make sure fuel pressure is correct. Instructions for doing that are in the ROJ How-to Guides at the top of the page.