Definite battery drainage on my 88

Bertimus

So something is definitely draining my battery. I haven't had this car very long, but the gentleman who sold it to me told me that if the car sits for a while all the electronics drain the battery. But it'll sit for just one night and not start. I know this isn't the case for some lucky owners, but for those of you who have experience with this issue, what was the culprit for you? And I mean it's draining FAST. Any wisdom on this issue would be greatly appreciated ??

Edited by Bertimus

Could be a bad alternator. Or a interior light left on. Blower control module is common. Could be the alarm is activated but someone unplugged the horn. Bad Battery.  Try this test Reatta Owners Journal then start pulling fuses until the drain disappears.

Edited by rogold
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

UPDATE: So unexpected turn of events. The same day I noticed my battery draining, my radio antenna stopped retracting. I noticed that even after I turned the car off, the antenna motor would sound like it was still struggling. Went into the trunk and was able to get the antenna to manually retract, and then also disconnected the antenna motor. A few hours later the battery was still draining. For whatever reason I just decided to pull the fuse for the antenna. Since pulling the fuse, the car is starting much better and hasn't drained (although it's not starting as quickly as it does right after I jumpstart it). Just thought it was an interesting observation. Taking it get an overall inspection this week, will update on the situation. The electronics in this car are really something else

• 3 months later...
On 12/13/2020 at 2:49 AM, Bertimus said:

UPDATE: So unexpected turn of events. The same day I noticed my battery draining, my radio antenna stopped retracting. I noticed that even after I turned the car off, the antenna motor would sound like it was still struggling. Went into the trunk and was able to get the antenna to manually retract, and then also disconnected the antenna motor. A few hours later the battery was still draining. For whatever reason I just decided to pull the fuse for the antenna. Since pulling the fuse, the car is starting much better and hasn't drained (although it's not starting as quickly as it does right after I jumpstart it). Just thought it was an interesting observation. Taking it get an overall inspection this week, will update on the situation. The electronics in this car are really something else

Hey did you ever get the antenna figured out? Mine literally just started doing the same thing ?

On 3/29/2021 at 10:31 PM, Philbo said:

Hey did you ever get the antenna figured out? Mine literally just started doing the same thing ?

No I haven't, I just pulled the fuse on it for now so I don't have to listen to it struggle. it's pretty low on my priority list but I will give an update when I get around to it! It's a bummer ?

19 hours ago, Bertimus said:

No I haven't, I just pulled the fuse on it for now so I don't have to listen to it struggle. it's pretty low on my priority list but I will give an update when I get around to it! It's a bummer ?

I did find parts geek sells replacements: https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1990/buick/reatta/fluids-fs-manuals-fs-misc/antenna.html

• Thanks 1