Climate Control Problem Detected/ 89

yerpastor

Looking at buying an 89 Reatta. Seller started car and sent me a picture of Dash and ECC. Message "Climate Control Problem Detected/ Very Low A/C Refrigerant/ AC Compressor Disengaged to Prevent Damage/ Service Check Required"

I understand the AC may need recharged, based on the message. Could it be anything else? 

Thanks

Edited by yerpastor

Welcome to the forum!

The low side pressure switch is telling the computer the Freon pressure is too low. The reason is usually because the Freon is low but it could be anything from a bad compressor to a cracked line or even something simple like a low side pressure switch. I would let the seller fix it before buying. AC repairs can get very expensive.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Glad to be here! I've wanted a Reatta since the first time I saw one, 19 years ago.

Update: Spoke with the Owner. He doesn't believe it to be the Compressor. Says when he turns AC on the Compressor kicks on, but then kicks off and gives the Error Message. He also says there is pressure in the line. I asked him to recharge the system and see if that doesn't help.

Edited by yerpastor

One A/C sensor that is often overlooked is the one down at the rack. You may want to jumper that to bypass and see if the A/C then works. 

• 5 months later...

Team this seems like it is my current problem area. The system has 70 PSI. The low pressure switch is working but the compressor will not turn on. If we jump the compressor it will turn on.

Your thoughts.

Thanks RJ

20210418_114301.jpg

31 minutes ago, RemSteele said:

Team this seems like it is my current problem area. The system has 70 PSI. The low pressure switch is working but the compressor will not turn on. If we jump the compressor it will turn on.

Your thoughts.

Thanks RJ

Try unhooking the battery to reset the computer. This might be helpful: Compressor Kicks Out When Adding Freon - Solution

Thanks for the quick reply. Will forward this over to my mechanic.

Good weekend,

RJ

Sounds like I'm doing the legwork for your mechanic that apparently knows nothing about a Reatta.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Is easy. With that error figure a $1000 repair. Act accordingly.

Well it turns out it was low and a little over a 1lb later the system is working and cooling the car. Well I'll have to see, it was 93 in NJ yesterday and 63 today. 

A couple of things:

Does not blow out of the dash vents?

Only on the floor and defrost.

Compressor is leaking. Price quote for a new compressor $550?

Any advise would be great,

Thanks,

RJ

" Price quote for a new compressor $550? " about right for a professional, total job around $800-$1000. DIY is less.

"Does not blow out of the dash vents?" Probably a stuck blend door. Rod is above gas pedal.

Check your vacuum feed to the climate controller. Vacuum comes from the block on top of the inlet manifold, specifically the hose that runs toward the rear which connects to a sort of tee shaped fitting which is a check valve. One way from the tee (drivers side) powers the cruise control and the opposite towards the passengers side supplies the HVAC controller. It is an 1/8" diameter plastic line which could be melted or damaged. It connects to the center port on the bottom of the HVAC controller which stands upright forward of the glove box against the right side footwell kick panel. Default with no vacuum is out the defrost. 

12 minutes ago, 2seater said:

Vacuum comes from the block on top of the inlet manifold, specifically the hose that runs toward the rear which connects to a sort of tee shaped fitting which is a check valve. One way from the tee (drivers side) powers the cruise control and the opposite towards the passengers side supplies the HVAC controller. It is an 1/8" diameter plastic line which could be melted or damaged.

I agree

Vacuum_lines-3.JPG

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply's. Looks like I should set aside some time this weekend. I'll provide an update.

RJ