Spare parts I should try to gather now for my 89 Reatta

pbtexan

I just acquired my first Reatta, 89 model, Red over Tan with 12K  miles.  I've put a few miles on a shakedown cruise over last couple of weekend.  Need to run down an engine code this weekend (printed out the instructions and the code list) but overall, it's running nice.

The forums here are great and I appreciate the shared expertise !  Now I need some "parts" advice from some of you veterans:  What are some of the parts, electrical and otherwise, that I should begin to gather, either for those roadside issues (brake relays overheating?) or things that are prone to failing at the worst time?   This will be a semi-daily driver 7-8K per year for the next two years, then who knows after I retire.

Also, if there are any members in the Dallas FtWorth area, I'd appreciate help in finding a knowledgeable mechanic !  I know the 3.8 is a common engine/trans, so that is to our advantage, but the electrical wizardry is intimidating to me (I'm willing to learn for the Reatta since it may be my last "cool" car selection) and I'd like to find someone who knows the mysteries of the digital dash systems.

Thanks for sharing, and please let me know if I can return the help !

Probably the number one thing that is likely to die and leave you stranded on the side of the road is the ICM/Coil pack. A lot of times they will just die without notice and sometimes they will give a little trouble when hot before they quit. Look for a gooey substance on the side as shown in the photo below along the bottom. That is an indication that it is going bad. It would be good to carry a spare with you and tools to swap it out although I don't have one right now.

I carry a lot of tools in my Reatta. I probably go overboard compared to other people.  I like to have what I need to troubleshoot a problem but having parts to swap out is a good way of troubleshooting too. I always carry my FSM in the compartment behind the seat and have a cellphone so I can access the How-to guides here on ROJ. Having spare fuses in the car are a must and it is good to have a few relays in the car but most of the relays can be swapped out with another in a pinch to get you going again. All the relays on the firewall are interchangeable.

For parts on hand at home... you should have as many Reatta specific parts as you can get your hands on. CRT is a must have. It is hard to troubleshoot problems if you have a bad CRT. Other parts to have on hand are any brake parts, especially the pump assemble that can be removed by taking out one bolt and disconnecting a couple of lines. If you can get a complete Teves units for a spare that is even better to have on hand. Any switches, especially the headlight switch are something you should have.

Other members can probably add to this list but this should get you started.

ICM-magnavox-2.jpg

I keep in inventory all sensors related to the Reatta and it's 3800 engine.  I also have engine and tranny mounts, fuel pump, alternator, headlight and taillight units with lenses and bulbs, fog lights and parking lights, brake parts including pads/calipers/hose lines, all hoses including vacuum lines, all filters, '91 ABS sensor leads, Bosch master cylinder.  I personally keep body parts, extra wheels and hub centers including lug bolts and nuts, shocks and struts and their mounting parts, extra antennas, '91 IPC's, HVAC units, key fobs and their control units.  I also have just about every publication for my '91 including FSM, '86-'93 Riviera/Reatta Parts and Illustration manual and all '91 Technical Bulletins.  Oh, and I also have both of the 60th edition of Hollander Interchange ID/Body and Mechanical manuals that include all of our Reatta years.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something!

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 7:39 PM, ship said:

I'm sure I'm forgetting something!

Couldn't be much that you forgot. That's a pretty impressive list of parts.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Couldn't be much that you forgot. That's a pretty impressive list of parts.

I accumulated many of the parts over time that also fit the '92 Riviera (sold in 2018).  Any parts that were unique to the Riviera went to the buyer (he was "gifted" ALOT of parts!).  Any parts unique to the Reatta/or duplicates are in my inventory.

One cardboard box holds most of the parts that I have on hand other than a complete Teves unit. I have to thank Daves89 for them. There just aren't any parts to get at junk yards in my area.

Ronnie and Ship

Thanks for the tips !   I've ordered the reproduction Factory Service Manual on ebay, waiting for it to arrive.  I"ll get the part numbers for the relays from there.  From my search on Amazon there are several part numbers, so I"m going to have to be careful !

Went online to amazon to check for the ICM and coils... HUGE price ranges ! ?   Is the $200  Borg Warner worth it vs the $50 to $100 price range for the ICM?  Ditto for the coils.. 30 to 100+? 

Ronnie, I like your onboard blue box... I have the same accumulation, but not nearly as compact !  Whats the name of that kit?  I'll probably create a gray box of traveling parts too. 

Ship,  wow  you are a parts house all by yourself!   That's a "future target" in my world, probably never get that far !  lol

I'm going to start w the electrical and "esoteric" pieces first, like running down a CRT... any new ones left, or am I looking for a rebuilt?   I think I saw a thread on that!

thanks

Paul

I have an extra rebuilt CRT and extra used tested Delco coil packs/ignition modules for sale. Please e mail me at;

lemke1044@aol.com

11 hours ago, pbtexan said:

Ronnie, I like your onboard blue box... I have the same accumulation, but not nearly as compact !  Whats the name of that kit?  I'll probably create a gray box of traveling parts too. 

The blue box says Companion 30119 on it. I don't remember where I got it but I believe it was either Sears or Lowes. I'm sure I didn't buy a tool set sight unseen so I doubt I bought them online. The gray box has jumper cables in it too.

My trunk is full. In addition to the toolboxes I carry a small suitcase with a change of clothes for me and my wife in case we get stranded away from home. I also carry two lawn chairs, Tyvek coveralls and some cleaning supplies in case I have to get dirty.

Ronnie   

My co-travelers accuse me of "1930's safari loading" whenever we travel to collector's shows (antique and semi antique firearms). That is, until they need something !  From Acetaminophen to Whiskey (medicinal only) I travel prepared, so I like your lists!

Instead of the Tyvek (which I like) I always carry a 2ft by 4 foot scrap of carpet to lay down on the ground.  If it gets dirty enough it goes into a plastic trashbag and the closest dumpster after the trip !

Thanks for the tips !

Daves89,  pinged you on email reg the parts !

thanks PB

• Like 1