ABS not flashing codes.

Dan Alesi

While diagnosing my 91 Reatta, I was able to retrieve codes for everything except the ABS. The light remained on and did not flash. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The "Service Engine Soon" light flashes when reading the codes not the yellow amber brake light. I believe on the 1991 Reatta [I don't have one] you still have a gray "ALDL" box under the dash that you have to jumper the pins. Directions how are in the "How To" that Ronnie has on the top of the page.

• Agree 2

• 3 months later...

Ronnie,The service soon light does not flash, any idea?  I understand that a Hard Code will prevent this operation. What is a hard code? Thanks Again.

This topic is about ABS so I assume that is what you are asking about.

Sorry, Can't help you with a '91. It has a totally different ABS than other models. I have never worked on one and don't have a FSM for a '91.

I highly recommend that you purchase a '91 Reatta & Riviera Factory Service Manual.  They are available on eBay...worth every penny.  The most likely issue you have with the ABS warning light staying on is that one (or both) of the front wheel speed sensors is bad.  Unfortunately, these front sensors are a one-year-only 1991 design.  The end of the lead (the sensor part) is made of black bake o' light type plastic with a small round metal probe protruding from the center (vs. an aluminum canister in previous years).  Daves89 or Jim Finn or Marck Barker of eastcoastreattaparts might have or be able to help find them for you.

The hydraulic modulator (located in engine compartment drivers side), or its contained relays (2 of them), or the EBCM very rarely go bad (if ever).  IMO I'd concentrate on the front wheel speed sensors.   

Edited by ship
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...