Electrical Problem

Gerald

I have a '90 convertible. Has anyone encountered the gauge cluster going blank with only the speedometer reading 00 MPH, ERR light next to the speedometer and the "Electrical Problem" light come on in the lower left hand corner? Mine started this a couple months back. At first it would go blank as described and come back on in a few seconds. Everything worked normal such as cruise control, radio, ECC, etc...I was just looking at a blank gauge cluster. 

Yes, it is not uncommon for the cluster to go bad in exactly that way. You can try pulling the cluster, clean/spray the connection on the back as well as the socket it fits into and reinstall. You may have luck an it is just a bad connection but the cluster may need repair or replacement. Check to be sure the cover over the ALDL connection under the left side of the dash is in place which contains an internal jumper to complete the data loop as a backup. Go to the How To Guide at the top of the forum page for more info.

Thanks 2seater. The trip odometer has stopped working and it very well could be a bad cluster. I'll try cleaning before I make a 911 call to Jim Finn. Merry Christmas 

• 2 years later...

1988 Buick Reatta has "electrical control system" for heat, radio, messages, etc. It flashes, being very unstable & becoming a pain in the ass. One was "ordered" & found to be defective. The dealership said they had a "source" of finding replacement ones & has had it for one week, having no calls about the car being "fixed". Wahlburg chevy, in Avon Lake, Ohio has it in their shop, having numerous issues with it. Is there a "pro" who could advise any possibilities on troubleshooting this "before it's time" electrical control system? The vehicle has but 89,431 miles on it & is pristine minus this issue. PLEASE HELP..

IS This the reason these Reatta's sold for $28,300.00 in 1988 or why they only mfg. them from 1988 to 1991??

Edited by Ron Kruz
add on
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ron Kruz said:

One was "ordered" & found to be defective. The dealership said they had a "source" of finding replacement ones & has had it for one week

What part was ordered?

• Like 1

In GMese the "electrical control system" is a serial LAN known as the Assembly Line Data Link (ALDL) & was used in ALL GM cars from 1981 to 1995. The Reatta and a few other GM cars of the period have a built in scan tool. An OTC2000 scanner with a later "pathfinder" cartridge and GM ALDL cable is able to access the link. Are often found on eBay but I prefer TunerPro RT since it can display many parameters at once.

gtpdash24may.jpg.8612e389a36f7f3f9884f9ee60bca2dc.jpg

ps the ALDL cover under the dash is marked "do not remove". It completes the loop.

Edited by Padgett

• 1 month later...

My '88 has been at a dealership for 1.5 months. The Electronic Control System kept "flashing", making it unusable. They replaced the E.L.C. & a "module" and still no fix. "It's too old to figure out" they've told me. "We don't know what more to do, we won't charge you labor BUT $817.00 in parts is due. They've had this car longer than I have owned it. The system initially worked then started "flashing", when I bought this vehicle.  SOOOooooo...... 

Enough whining, after investing this money, I'm about to pick up this car. At least it was "stuck" on having some heat, who knows what I'll have to offer as I take it home. The purpose of this communication is in hopes of a fellow human to suggest any ideas/locations in regard to repairing this issue. I live in N.E. Ohio, Cleveland area & would GREAT APPRECIATE ANY ASSISTANCE regarding this scenario. 

rkruzyk3@gmail.com 

God Bless & Thank You. 

Hi Ron,

Sorry, I can't recommend a repair shop in your area.  Do you have the skills and tools to do the work on it yourself? There are lots of people on this forum with the knowledge to help you troubleshoot it and fix it if you can do the work.

It would be helpful if you would describe exactly what is flashing. Is it the touch screen in the center of the dash or the instrument panel? The more details you can give us the more we will be able to help you.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I have had this happen to me when I first bought the Red. If the Service Engine Soon light does not work [it's in the warning light area along the bottom of the instrument cluster] you will always have what you describe. It is an easy repair as it is just a light bulb that can be replaced.

If that light works you will have to give us more information.

• Like 2

To Ron Kruz: I've learned the hard way, too, about dealers thinking they can fix but really have no idea what they are doing. Hit or miss with parts, etc. I don't know what the problem is with your situation. However, when the dealer is replacing stuff, always ask for the "bad" parts. I'm not familiar with what an E.L.C. is, or what "module" they replaced, but either the "old" part, and/or an itemized repair invoice should identify what they replaced with more specificity. 

• 4 months later...

Anyone…? My 88 IPC is dark except for the MIL, ABS,  and bulbs at the bottom and those do come on when selecting the Test button. I tested voltages and grounds to the IPC and are B+ and 0v accordingly. So…. I took the IPC apart but smelled nothing burnt or saw anything funny except the 3 capacitors are leaking a lil. That could be it but was wondering if anyone has experience with what fails inside of the IPC. Thanks and ill post a fix if i find it!

• Confused 1

Also my CRT flickers and goes off sometimes but i can still push “buttons” on the screen and they work if i get lucky enough to guess where one is.  I took the CRT apart but saw or smelled nothing funky.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 9:38 AM, Ronnie said:

What part was ordered?

the CRT Screen/Unit & Module, NEW....

On 1/21/2023 at 9:13 AM, Ronnie said:

Hi Ron,

Sorry, I can't recommend a repair shop in your area.  Do you have the skills and tools to do the work on it yourself? There are lots of people on this forum with the knowledge to help you troubleshoot it and fix it if you can do the work.

It would be helpful if you would describe exactly what is flashing. Is it the touch screen in the center of the dash or the instrument panel? The more details you can give us the more we will be able to help you.

It's the Center Touch Screen, thou "NEW" with a Module, this issue has spread to my dashboard causing *Blank*, no speedometer, gas gage, etc. I have "mechanical" skills but lack in "electrical" skills...

1 hour ago, Ron Kruz said:

I have "mechanical" skills but lack in "electrical" skills...

Same for me. I'm a retired machinist so mechanical things come naturally for me. I'm pretty good at reading electrical schematics but troubleshooting what is inside electrical components is usually over my head.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

......ALAS, Issue Resolved @ "Wired Right", Fairview Park, Ohio!!.....ie: "a lil bit fixed that, a lil bit fixed this", A LOT OF AGRIVATION & PULLING THE DASHBOARD AWAY: 4/5" of toasted wiring harness OBSERVED, due to "mounting bracket screw" backing off.......ALL WORKS WELL!!!~ ~ ~ ~ Proof Being: 1/2 way home, I hear THE BEEP, screen says "Electrical Issue....Adress Electrotonic Computer System, Check for Codes"..... so back I went, ROLLING @ 95mph, and there she be 'til Monday/Tuesday..... (w/new radio antenna)......  CUZ THE SOUND SYSTEM IS NEXT!!!!

On 5/25/2023 at 2:49 PM, Howdy2k2000 said:

Also my CRT flickers and goes off sometimes but i can still push “buttons” on the screen and they work if i get lucky enough to guess where one is.  I took the CRT apart but saw or smelled nothing funky.

........it's the "beginning of"  ....appears to be similar to the scenario I've been going through w/my '88...... see above (posted 10min ago) & investigate.   PRIOR TO THOSE ACTIONS, I Had the CRT unit, & module, replaced as it still continued to fizzle out leading/adding to my dash dying, also.