What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

It would be nice if you would post the written instructions for replacing the latch. It would be helpful to others who need details about what you did.

I'll get with Karl and type some up.

Some time ago I removed a perfect pair of tan 16 way suede bolster seats from the '88 and put them in storage. I swapped in a pair of 16 way passenger side [without the 16 way benefits] into the '88. The headrest on the drivers side wouldn't stay up so today I swapped them side to side [passenger to driver, driver to passenger] as I am tall and want/need the headrest at the highest position.

The 16 way suede bolster seats are for sale. Make offer. 

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

I am tall and want/need the headrest at the highest position.

Me too. I put black rubber hose over the rods to hold the headrest in the highest position. It looks like it came that way if you don't know the difference.

56 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

You're smarted then me. I used a hose clamp in the past...

How do I make them shorter so I look taller🙄

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, 2seater said:

How do I make them shorter so I look taller🙄

I'd surely be interested in that answer!!  Although I'm 5'6",  I'm 6'2" in my own mind!

In the for what it's worth department; By the end of the month the '88 will roll over to 200,000 miles. From what the last owner told me [and I do have all the repair orders from new] still the original engine and transmission. Only thing I've done is timing chain, tensioner, sprocket and cam magnet.

Looks like next week Thursday is "Car Day" at Bob's. I couldn't figure out why my gas mileage wasn't that great on the Black, and today found out why when washing my car. Both front wheels sizzled when I hit them with water so I think my rubber brake lines are partially collapsed and need to be swapped out. Already had the hoses in the parts bin as I wanted to do the 'vert. The 'vert used different lines so I ordered for it and that is why I had extra hoses. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Looks like next week Thursday is "Car Day" at Bob's. I couldn't figure out why my gas mileage wasn't that great on the Black, and today found out why when washing my car. Both front wheels sizzled when I hit them with water so I think my rubber brake lines are partially collapsed and need to be swapped out. Already had the hoses in the parts bin as I wanted to do the 'vert. The 'vert used different lines so I ordered for it and that is why I had extra hoses. 

If it turns out like mine when I swapped the front hoses, the brakes will feel better and firmer. I think your conjecture is likely true about the mileage too, at least it has been on my Subaru that has been a problem child with brake calipers👍

I believe you are correct with the brakes feeling firmer. Last year they seemed fine, but this spring they just didn't feel right. They just didn't grab like I was used to. I really believe that cars when they get to this age stuff likes this starts to happen. I now have done the fronts on the Red, this Black, the 'vert, and the '89 Black that your son has. All within the last two years.

• Like 1

Earlier this week came out to the Black earl one morning and car started right up, but the radio/climate/time/day control presets had to be reset as well as the tone turned off on the CRT. Never happened before or since. 

Today I and a buddy swapped out the passenger side strut mount. It would make a one time click noise on a right turn. My buddy has a lift and we got it up in the air put some spring compressors on it and tightened it down. We then loosened up the sway bar as loose as it would go without coming off and then I used a pry bar for the last little bit of downward pressure we needed to remove the mount. The rubber gasket inside the mount that the strut goes through was worn and that was my issue. Not sure why it happened but with the new mount in there hopefully it will last as long as I need it.

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 1

Got a question for anyone with a parts book. I would like a 1990 steering column as a back up for the 'vert. Can anyone [Ship] let me know if a Riviera works and if so what year?

Also today I replaced the both front rubber brake hoses on the Black. After I got the hoses done, bled the brakes and took it for a spin. No pulling to one side so all is good.

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 2

Dave, Looking through the 86-93 E Body Parts & Illustration Catalog I found that the column part numbers are the same for both the '90 and '91 Riviera and same years Reatta.  It seems that although the Riviera column looks the same for '92 and for '93, part numbers don't match up...'92 different from '93 and neither match up with '90/'91 Riviera/Reatta. 

Simply put, the illustrations look the same but the part numbers were just changed...not unheard of by GM.

I'd stick with looking for '90/'91 Riviera/Reatta.   

Busy day on the 'vert today. Topped off the fuel, changed oil, polished the chrome wheels, put tire shine on the tires, and waxed the car. Put a cover on it and now it's ready for winter.

Hopefully the next time I fire it up is for it's trip to Texas... 

• Like 3

Weirdest thing happened twice this week. I hit a bump in the road and my climate control screen bumped from "Econ" to "Auto" and the stereo from the leftmost button to the second one in. Never happened before. And they weren't hard bumps. 

Also another time it went into a systems check and then came back to normal.

Anyone have this before?

Dave, I wonder if something is losing power or ground for a split second causing the climate control go to the default setting of Auto. I think that might make it go through a system check to. Not sure about the radio setting.