What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

I have a tensioner left over from the Red's engine swap. Hal do you have any of the tensioners laying around? I would use yours and then buy a replacement for you. This way I don't ave to worry about returns to the mail order house. Or you can sell me one. 

Also what chain do you recommend [I know you said Morse but is there a part #?] and are there any other parts needed?

Today I drove 350 miles on the '89 Black and over the past week over 1000. That puts me well over 308,000 miles on the body [second engine, third tranny] and I keep thinking to myself "And why do you want to part it out?" The answer is that the '88 Black I just bought is a so much nicer car. 

Hal do you want this car to combine with the '88 Red/Tan you have? I just feel guilty about parting it out this spring, but maybe by then the decision [due to unforseen circumstances] will make the decision easier. 

47 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

Today I drove 350 miles on the '89 Black and over the past week over 1000. That puts me well over 308,000 miles on the body [second engine, third tranny] and I keep thinking to myself "And why do you want to part it out?" The answer is that the '88 Black I just bought is a so much nicer car. 

Hal do you want this car to combine with the '88 Red/Tan you have? I just feel guilty about parting it out this spring, but maybe by then the decision [due to unforseen circumstances] will make the decision easier. 

I had the very same thought Dave. My derelict is an '89 Claret/Tan. It does run and drive, but there seems to be something wrong with #6 cylinder. While not fond of black cars, I am impressed by the shape it has been kept in and have toyed with the idea of installing the entire front subframe, engine and all, under the rear. Essentially a Fiero style Reatta. Lets talk after the winter? 

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

I have a tensioner left over from the Red's engine swap. Hal do you have any of the tensioners laying around? I would use yours and then buy a replacement for you. This way I don't ave to worry about returns to the mail order house. Or you can sell me one. 

Also what chain do you recommend [I know you said Morse but is there a part #?] and are there any other parts needed?

I missed this post when I made the previous. I will get my folder out for the various engines I have put together and see what I have for a part number. I may have a tensioner and will look tomorrow.

There is no rush on anything for the '88 Black as it is in storage for the winter and things won't happen until then. 

A little more on the '89 Black. I have put 120,000 of my own miles on that car, mostly for business at a $.50 per mile tax write off. That means about $50,000 dollars in write offs at a tax rate of 15% would be $7500.00 in "real" money. I bought the car for $1500.00 and maybe put another $2500.00 in it [tires, struts, rack and pinion, tranny, alignments]. I did have a small fender bender, but made $800.00 off that getting parts from Gibson's so I know the $2500.00 is accurate.  This car owes me nothing so Hal it won't take much for you to get this car if you want it.

That '89 Red/Tan that I bought a year ago is another great runner with lots of new parts on it. It just has some ugly scrapes on it that are starting to rust and it need a new dash, driver door panel and seat all of which I either have or can get from Gibson's. No codes and the A/C still worked last time I checked. I bought it cheap because the cradle bushings were bad [now fixed]. That one too can be had cheap. 

All things to talk about next spring, but I will be down to 3 cars again [well maybe 4 if Bob will continue to let me store one at his shed...]

Replaced the headlight cranks on the'89 Black. Had some used ones laying around that still looked good. Willing to spend time on it but don't want to spend any money on it as this is the last winter. 

Thinking about some of the newer parts I put in the car within the last 4 years; windshield [insurance claim], and drive shafts. Oh yeah and a 5000 mile transmission [that I bought from a salvage yard in Northern Wisconsin that was a "plant car" from Buick plant in Michigan. Also bought the engine, but that was a real nice motor with corrosion due to improper storage. I received a full refund and got to keep a lot of parts from it that was used on an engine build I had done.

Edited by DAVES89

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Thinking about some of the newer parts I put in the car within the last 4 years

That got me to thinking about what I've spent on my car since I got it in 2007. Even though I've not had a lot of problems I've still spent about 2100 on it. Most of the money went to new wheels and tires, batteries, oil changes and odds and ends like spoiler and spare parts. If you keep track of it like I do it can add up quickly... if you call 12 years quickly. ?

I walked passed my '89 in the garage and I wondered if I should wash her and put the tarp over her when the temp reaches above 65 deg.   She has not touched the street in 18 months.  2 years and 3 months ago I was given an MRI and found I have stage IV lung cancer.  During that time I have been given catruda, the latest cancer drug.  I also just retired at the age of 72 so come this spring I will take her out of the garage and drive her around but more on this come the spring of '20.

• Like 1

Welcome back Woody! It was good talking to you yesterday on the phone.  Get out and drive that Reatta. As the Buick Reatta commercial says: "The Great American Road Belongs To Buick!"

Woody,

Drive it like you stole it!  Really appreciate you sharing your experience with Catruda!!

Jim/Nittany

• Like 1

We almost hit 40 degrees today so I thought I would hand wash the Black.

Then I started in on the '88 Black as I was having issues with the Red and Amber brake warning light. I swapped out the relays and the Red is out but the Amber stays on, so I swapped out the front ABS leads as those needed reconditioning anyway. Amber light still on. Tried disconnecting and then connecting the ABS controller in the trunk, no good. Last thing [as the car never left the driveway] was to disconnect the battery to clear the codes, that didn't work either.

So I don't have anti lock, [for now] but then again this car is being stored for the winter as I finish up my last year with the '89 Black. I also swapped out the accumulator which was an improvement on the pump running.

All in all a good day on the cars.

Dave, With that many Reattas I'll bet there is never a shortage of having something to do.  I just own one and it seems there is always something I could do to it.  I guess that is one of he reasons we sometimes refer to Reatta ownership as being a hobby. ?

• 2 weeks later...

It's a hobby all right. I have a code on my brakes that I have tried clearing out. It is a code 27 which indicates a rear valve not working on the ABS. As this is an 'early 1988 Teves master cylinder I am considering swapping it out for a later unit [which I have 3 of] and keeping the pump and motor for someone with the early master cylinder and recoup my money that way. The master cylinder is not a difficult swap as I have removed a number of them over the years from my local You Pick. 

I also had a look under the car and I believe it to be as clean as the Red which is a Florida car that I only drive in the summer. As an example the front ABS leads slid right out of the holder. Someone had taken the time to put anti seize on the ABS barrels. So I can rebuild them and keep them for back ups as I had another set to put in.

I also talked to Kendall to do the timing chain and the cam magnet as with 190,000 miles I want the car to go about another 120,000 as I got out of my current Black. This will be a swap labor for labor deal. He does the timing chain and I do some paver brick work on his patio.

Edited by DAVES89

Last week I removed the two front ABS leads from the Black '88 and started reconditioning them. I have Kendall remove the plug and then I do the rest. I got completely done and tested them only to find one lead went dead. This happens on occasion so what we do is strip back the new coating to where the break is in the coaxial lead and repair it and then put a new heat shrink tube back on. In this case the lead is "broke" at the plug that hold the cable as it goes through the inner fender. This should be an easier repair so all should be good.

• Like 1

I put the charger on the battery today with a timer to cycle it on for 20 minutes each day. That is enough to keep the battery fully charged.  I probably won't be driving it for a while. I think I may have damaged the MCL in my knee by overdoing it on the treadmill a couple of days ago. As you get older it takes more time to recover from these things.

We got a rain storm that turned into 6" of snow and then colder temperatures over the weekend. I had been driving the '89 Black [I park this one outside] but both doors froze up, the Driver's side froze solid, the Passenger side not so much. I was able to get the door latch to release the lock and I worked my fingertips under the glass and pulled getting the door open. I then had to crawl over the Passenger seat and console to get in the Driver's seat. I then pulled the inner door handle and used my shoulder against the door to get it open. The lock was still froze a bit and took a couple door closes to get it to latch again.

Hope this isn't going to be a regular occurrence.

3 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

We got a rain storm that turned into 6" of snow and then colder temperatures over the weekend. I had been driving the '89 Black [I park this one outside] but both doors froze up, the Driver's side froze solid, the Passenger side not so much. I was able to get the door latch to release the lock and I worked my fingertips under the glass and pulled getting the door open. I then had to crawl over the Passenger seat and console to get in the Driver's seat. I then pulled the inner door handle and used my shoulder against the door to get it open. The lock was still froze a bit and took a couple door closes to get it to latch again.

Hope this isn't going to be a regular occurrence.

It isn't usual for us to have that sort of precipitation as happened over the weekend. Our friends further south seem to have more issues with icing, thank god, but my neighbor experienced the same frozen door syndrome and he broke his drivers door handle struggling with it. Ironically it is a Buick also, a Lacrosse. I feel your pain Dave

6 minutes ago, 2seater said:

I feel your pain Dave

Same here. Ice is the worst thing we ever have here.  It breaks tree limbs and they knock down the power lines.  We've been lucky so far.  Our weather is still good with temps above freezing at night. If I wanted to see snow I can drive about 70 miles to the top of the Smoky mountains. They got about 4-1/2 inches last night and more coming tonight but none here in the valley where I live.

8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Same here. Ice is the worst thing we ever have here.  It breaks tree limbs and they knock down the power lines.  We've been lucky so far.  Our weather is still good with temps above freezing at night. If I wanted to see snow I can drive about 70 miles to the top of the Smoky mountains. They got about 4-1/2 inches last night and more coming tonight but none here in the valley where I live.

That's right Ronnie, you have "Bottom land" made famous in the movie "Sgt York". That still ranks up there in my all time favorite "wrong turns that turned out great". As you remember I was driving your way on my way to Florida and made a wrong turn and ended up going through a little town called Pell Mell the home of Sgt York the most decorated soldier of World War 1. Great stop to look at all the touristy things.

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

That's right Ronnie, you have "Bottom land" made famous in the movie "Sgt York". That still ranks up there in my all time favorite "wrong turns that turned out great". As you remember I was driving your way on my way to Florida and made a wrong turn and ended up going through a little town called Pell Mell the home of Sgt York the most decorated soldier of World War 1. Great stop to look at all the touristy things.

Around here we refer to that area as "Sgt York Country". It is a quaint little place that is off the beaten path. You were lucky to stumble upon it. I was really surprised that you said you had came down that route on your way to TN but after finding out you like Sgt York I was glad you did. 

My daughter and I traveled there a year or so ago in my Reatta. She really enjoyed it.  I think see read everything about Sgt. York that was on the wall of the little museum there. She loves history.  My favorite parts was visiting the old water powered mill that is there. I like mechanical things and it always amazes me what people could do before electricity was available in rural areas.  We were disappointed that his old home place wasn't open so we could tour ti that day but we still had a lot of things to see and we had a great time.