What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

With all the work done by others regarding rear struts, I in the last couple of weeks have purchased front struts, front and rear strut mounts. I have two Reattas and have 6 each front and rear struts and 6 each front and rear strut mounts. I do not want to be caught short or scramble again for suspension parts. I am also considering buying a rack and pinion for back stock as well.

I'll always be able to sell them should my Reatta days ever end...

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 3

I am sooo glad that I had the struts and shocks and all mounts changed out 21/2 years ago!  I also have a spare set of struts/shocks/mounts in my cellar inventory.... along with engine, tranny, and chassis mounts.

• Like 2

Took the Red into the shop for a Rack and Pinion replacement. Worked for about a half hour before it locked up. At first they thought it was the power steering pump so I ran home to get one from my back stock. But before I got back they ran more testing and then determined the rack was no good. They tried a couple of parts houses and the earliest to get one is two days out [Wednesday]and then the install means Thursday before I get it back. Now that I let the Black go, now the car juggling starts between my wife's schedule and mine.

I'm thinking this will be the next issue for us so I'm going shopping for another for inventory. 
 BTW I bought an accumulator ball from Rock Auto on closeout. Checked with 2seater to make sure I got the correct cross reference one, but I paid less then $110.00. Saved about $130.00 on Amazon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just bought a Rack and Pinion. I looked at Rock Auto not so much for the price but how many brands. They are down to two of them. Also today while we checked around to see if we could get another one next day instead of 2 day from NAPA, both O'reillys and Federated showed out and no longer available. 

Not to be a "gloom and doomer" but I think stocking parts is the way to go.

• Agree 1

I now carry in my car the following; crank sensor, MAF sensor, Delco coil pack, alternator, serpentine belt, both the correct length and the bypass belt. Extra fuses and relays.

In the parts bin I have almost too much stuff. More of the aforementioned trunk stock, EGR valve, brake pads, rotors, front/rear wheel bearings, wheel speed sensor, rack and pinion, struts/ strut mounts both front and rear, tie rods, ball joints, power steering pumps, Teves pump/motor, pressure switches, accumulator ball, freon, all the silver boxes, CRT, IPC, radio, temperature control module, blower control module, oil/air filters, spark plugs/wires, headlights/headlight motors, bulbs, all tested and ready to go.

I'm sure there are more things I have but I don't like being down long as I like to think I can drive my car every day.

Another item I am considering stocking is the drive shafts as I'm sure that will be another item to be discontinued.

If I did stock those that would really ease my mind about parts being discontinued.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Another item I am considering stocking is the drive shafts as I'm sure that will be another item to be discontinued.

If I did stock those that would really ease my mind about parts being discontinued.

I think the axles for the '88 models will be the first to be discontinued. They will not interchange with the later model axles. They might possibly interchange with later models if you changed the bearing and/or knuckle at the same time.  I ended up getting a good used one from Jim Finn when I needed to replace mine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2023 at 7:38 PM, DAVES89 said:

Took the Red into the shop for a Rack and Pinion replacement. Worked for about a half hour before it locked up. At first they thought it was the power steering pump so I ran home to get one from my back stock. But before I got back they ran more testing and then determined the rack was no good. They tried a couple of parts houses and the earliest to get one is two days out [Wednesday]and then the install means Thursday before I get it back. Now that I let the Black go, now the car juggling starts between my wife's schedule and mine.

I'm thinking this will be the next issue for us so I'm going shopping for another for inventory. 
 BTW I bought an accumulator ball from Rock Auto on closeout. Checked with 2seater to make sure I got the correct cross reference one, but I paid less then $110.00. Saved about $130.00 on Amazon.

The saga continues. The second rack they put in was different from the get go. I had to much slack at the steering wheel and if I would go into a curve and start to turn the steering wheel it would give a quick skip and then work fine for the rest of the turn.

I hoped it would clear up thinking there was air in the lines, but that wasn't it. So I crawled under the car for a look and to be honest I was glad to see it leaking at the inner bellow on the driver's side. 

So back to the shop to get scheduled for yet another one. This time NAPA only has 3 in the country all out West.

Install is scheduled for a week from tomorrow.

I'm going to cancel the order of a rack for my back stock as I don't trust the rebuilders and I don't want to watch a stored part go out of warranty leaving me no recourse.

• Sad 3

Kendall [my mechanic friend] says that after all these years there are no new ones being built and how many times can you rebuild a used one and expect it to work?

• Sad 1

The US supplier for another brand car advised me to have my Rack rebuilt rather than him furnishing an already rebuilt one.  He said that mine was probably an original one and no telling how many times a rebuilt one had been rebuilt. So! I had mine rebuilt and never had any issues.  But the caveat is, does your rebuilder shop really know how to work on your precious part?

Had a little time this morning and thought I would address a bit of a rough idle so cleaned both the Idle Air Control as well as the butterfly on the air intake.

Haven't taken it out for a drive yet but it does seem like it idles well.

On 6/18/2023 at 7:37 PM, DAVES89 said:

Kendall [my mechanic friend] says that after all these years there are no new ones being built and how many times can you rebuild a used one and expect it to work?

Got the new one installed this morning. So far the steering seems tighter and I haven't experienced the "jumping" the car would do when making a slight rurn [like going around a cure] at highway speeds.

The repair shop stood behind it, all at no charge, replacement rack, labor and alignment.

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 1

I was looking for a part in my parts bin and realized I have 3 new harmonic balancers. If anyone would like to buy one, I have one available. $65.00 with freight. Local pick up $50.00

Rock Auto has them for $97.xx plus tax and freight.

Me and my Bride went out for breakfast yesterday. After about 100 miles we stopped in Cuba Missouri and had a wonderful breakfast.  Then we continued our journey on Missouri back roads that are curvy and hilly.  The car is wonderful. 

The Temp gauge got almost to the red when I stopped at a light, but went back down once I started moving .  The outside temperature was 101 F, and 72 inside.  I love this car.

• Like 1

My 3 port rack and pinion came in today. I thought about returning it but changed my mind and will keep it even if it goes out of warranty before install. better to have an extra one with the way stuff is being discontinued.

On another front got a cut on the inside sidewall. Can't be fixed so I will be getting a new one in a couple of days. Almost a good thing as my donut spare was also flat. Filled it and it is now on the car. I run Michelins and Walmart is about the only store open and they don't stock them. So back to the tire dealer on Wednesday for a   replacement.

22 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

On another front got a cut on the inside sidewall.

That's an unusual place to get a tire cut. How did it happen?  Maybe driving it onto a lift or something?

Driving down a county highway and heard something big rattle around in the driver's side rear wheel well. Everything seemed fine, parked the car in the garage , came out later and it was flat.

You're having a lot of bad luck lately Dave. Sorry to hear it.

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

You're having a lot of bad luck lately Dave. Sorry to hear it.

I've gone years without getting a flat and with the miles I drive I consider myself pretty lucky.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've been lucky to. I use to drive 42 miles each way to work every day. I never had a flat that I had to change on the side of the road. I found a couple going flat in the garage that I plugged myself. My wife ran over a butter knife of all things one time. The handle was still inside the tire. I had to get a new tire that time.

• Like 1