What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

If you wanted to swap the spot mirrors it might not be hard to do. I popped mine right off with a plastic putty knife without damaging the adhesive on the back of the spot mirror. I let it sit outside with the sun shining dirctly on it for about an hour to warm up before I attempted to take it off. I pulled up on the mirror slightly while sliding the plastic putty knife underneath and it slowly started letting go. It hardly left any adhesive at all on the main mirror. One swipe with WD40 cleaned off the residue. 

• Like 1

One of the high up stop light bulbs are burned out on my '88. Do I have to take the vinyl trim off to get to it? I don't see any other way from the trunk side.

I should have thought about Buick engineering and how well thought out these cars are in general. I started at the coat hook and got around to the middle and then realized that the center just pulls off after taking off the two center torx screws. That's okay as someone else was in there before me and broke some clips that I fixed with velcro and insulating tape. 

All better now.

• Like 2

I washed my car last Friday. The farmers are harvesting crops around here, so dust is easily accumulated. We are in peak fall colors. I’ve seen a few folks from Minnesota post snow covered Reattas. Burrrrrr 

F09115C5-219D-4ABA-98BD-6DE4EE672BE8.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BlakesReatta said:

I washed my car last Friday.

Good looking car. I like the color combo.

19 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

I should have thought about Buick engineering and how well thought out these cars are in general. I started at the coat hook and got around to the middle and then realized that the center just pulls off after taking off the two center torx screws. That's okay as someone else was in there before me and broke some clips that I fixed with velcro and insulating tape. 

All better now.

I have to say that hopefully with the last of my repairs I have now a much better opinion of this '88 Black Reatta. Since I have bought it I [Kendall, Bob and myself] have done a number of repairs; ignition module, CCRT module, ECM, struts [front and rear], rack and pinion, timing gear, chain, and cam magnet, harmonic balancer, crank sensor, non stock muffler on a non stock exhaust, and right front caliper, caliper bracket and brake pads.  

While the list looks long and pricey I think I am less then $1000.00 in parts and labor on top of my purchase price of $1000.00 so the car is still a good value. I also think the interior is at least an 8 as is the body. 

Of all the Reattas I have owned I had liked this one the least because of the nagging repairs, mostly the louder exhaust [now fixed because of new muffler] and the timing [now fixed with a new crank sensor]. It is now tied for second with the '89 Black that I had [that was bought by 2seaters son] with the 'vert last. The 'vert is a solid car giving me no troubles but I just don't like 'verts as much as coupes.

The one that got away from me was a 1989 Red/Tan that I bought from a guy about 40 miles away. It needed a front cradle bolt system repair, but Kdirk and I parted it out.  Probably should have "saved" it as it was a nice car, but I guess at the time I wanted parts more and the original Black was still running good.

• Like 3

Tomorrow is the 7th wedding anniversary for my wife and I. We were celebrating tonight so I washed up the reatta and we went in style with the top down 🙂

I'm always amazed at how good the 32 year old paint shines up.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Philbo said:

Tomorrow is the 7th wedding anniversary for my wife and I. We were celebrating tonight so I washed up the reatta and we went in style with the top down 🙂

I'm always amazed at how good the 32 year old paint shines up.

Happy Anniversary! 

Hope it was the cars top...

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

Happy Anniversary! 

Hope it was the cars top...

Indeed it was! 😆

Thank you

On 10/3/2022 at 9:12 PM, DAVES89 said:

Tonight was the first night I was in the car with the illuminated shifter panel from the 1989 Riv with 58000 miles. I swear it is so bright in comparison to other ones I have I thought I would need sunglasses. Only mistake I made was putting it on the Black instead of the Red. As the Red is now in storage I will swap it into the Red this spring when the Red comes back out.

Dave sent me a photo of the shifter panel he is referring to. It looks as bright as a new one.

shifter panel - riv.jpg

• Like 1

I took my vert to Tower Rock Saturday. This is on the Mississippi River near Chester, Illinois. The river is low now that people can walk out to the rock in the river bed. 

3B8DFF64-458B-4FE9-B649-D9173FD20781.jpeg

C4C8207C-4DFF-47BA-BC2B-CA22AA0481A3.jpeg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Installed the passenger side mirror on the Driver's side like you did Ronnie, and it looks and works better then the Driver's side installed correctly on the Driver's side

• Like 1

I'll be driving the Black starting Wednesday for the first time in almost a month. My wife and I were vacationing to Texas [where the 'vert is and that I drove once or twice while there] using her van. But now that she is coming home tomorrow [I came back with the mini van for work a week ago] I will be giving up the heated seats and steering wheel of her mini van for the more spartan life of the Reatta. They are creature comforts I can get used to and may put in the Black [at least heated seats]. 

You live in a different world Dave. I've never known anyone who had a car with heated seats and I've never heard of a heated steering wheel before. Having heated outside mirrors is a big deal around here. I had my Equinox for years before I found out it had them. Sounds like your mini van is a really nice one.

My '14 Caddy ATS is the first car I've owned that has a heated steering wheel.  It's an excellent thing to have during NE winters.  My 2000 Caddy Eldorado has a better heated heat setup than my '14 ATS, although it did not come with a heated steering wheel.  

Buick's other convertible had both heated seats and steering wheel.   I had a 2017 Cascada which was a nice 4 seat convertible but it just didn't quite have "the look."

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

You live in a different world Dave. I've never known anyone who had a car with heated seats and I've never heard of a heated steering wheel before. Having heated outside mirrors is a big deal around here. I had my Equinox for years before I found out it had them. Sounds like your mini van is a really nice one.

The Reatta has heated outside mirrors. Just put your car on defrost and the ice should melt off.

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

The Reatta has heated outside mirrors. Just put your car on defrost and the ice should melt off.

I just learned something new.  Maybe because I've never had a reason to use the defroster on my Reatta. 🙂