What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

1 hour ago, 2seater said:

Replaced the front muffler clamp on my catalytic converter with a stainless steel band clamp. I noticed a bit of movement in the joint when I was replacing the rubber o-ring hangers at the rear. I would replace the rear clamp too but the joint is too short.🤨

Went junking’ with Dave’s 89 today to find a replacement driver’s seat belt latch. In looking through compatible vehicles, Riv’s and Reattas, I found many that had a failed latch on the drivers side. It looks like a pattern to indicate they have a finite life span. All passengers side worked fine.

Telling tales but Dave was after a very nice seat when we discovered a low mile 89 Riviera. After looking it over, I think he decided other stuff too good to pass up👍181773C1-5AC8-4289-9DF5-F793B0B1D2EE.thumb.jpeg.8e16fb4a4bc17c97bd003282e48f4f34.jpeg

Got a text from 2seater wanting to go junking so after finishing up with volunteer carpet cleaning at church and an insurance appointment I met up with 2seater about 1:30 at Gibson's [our local you pick]. With 5 Reattas to pick through as well as about 7 Rivs you would think we would find a seat belt latch quickly. We got lucky and found one on a Riv that I didn't know about because it was in the wrong row. Someone else had got there first and got the "bling" from this 56000 mile 1989 [IPC, Headlight Switch, and CRT]. I am going back for the shifter panel and temperature control module and maybe a few other items. I did score a very nice Reatta tan 16 way passenger seat that I can use on my driver's side 16 way. I took the track off because someone else had started taking the seat apart [very hard to do when the seat is still in place] and I thought the counter guy would charge more for power seats [he doesn't]. Didn't matter as I have extra motors and tracks to swap in. I will say that removing the tracks and motors makes the seats lots easier and easy to carry.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I had to charge my battery today. When I went to start it it turned slow. Not been driven for a while and forgot to disconnect the battery.

On 9/26/2022 at 8:04 PM, DAVES89 said:

Got a text from 2seater wanting to go junking so after finishing up with volunteer carpet cleaning at church and an insurance appointment I met up with 2seater about 1:30 at Gibson's [our local you pick]. With 5 Reattas to pick through as well as about 7 Rivs you would think we would find a seat belt latch quickly. We got lucky and found one on a Riv that I didn't know about because it was in the wrong row. Someone else had got there first and got the "bling" from this 56000 mile 1989 [IPC, Headlight Switch, and CRT]. I am going back for the shifter panel and temperature control module and maybe a few other items. I did score a very nice Reatta tan 16 way passenger seat that I can use on my driver's side 16 way. I took the track off because someone else had started taking the seat apart [very hard to do when the seat is still in place] and I thought the counter guy would charge more for power seats [he doesn't]. Didn't matter as I have extra motors and tracks to swap in. I will say that removing the tracks and motors makes the seats lots easier and easy to carry.

Tonight was the first night I was in the car with the illuminated shifter panel from the 1989 Riv with 58000 miles. I swear it is so bright in comaprison to other ones I have I thought I would need sunglasses. Only mistake I made was putting it on the Black instead of the Red. As the Red is now in storage I will swap it into the Red this spring when the Red comes back out. I also installed the Temp control module from that Riv into the Red and that works great as well. 

From the '89 Reatta I grabbed the headlight switch and that too is bright. Per the IPC [yes that worked too] the Reatta had 104,000 miles. Allin all I did good. The shifter panel from the Reatta was no good, so that goes back.

• Like 2

As posted on the "other" forum...Today I topped off the gas in the Reatta, put in Sta-Bil, changed both the air filter and windshield wipers, cleaned all windows, detailed the exterior, vacuumed the interior, drove it into the igloo, attached the battery tender, and put the car cover on.  It will be in storage now until April 2023.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ship said:

As posted on the "other" forum...Today I topped off the gas in the Reatta, put in Sta-Bil, changed both the air filter and windshield wipers, cleaned all windows, detailed the exterior, vacuumed the interior, drove it into the igloo, attached the battery tender, and put the car cover on.  It will be in storage now until April 2023.

Bad weather already, or just done for the year? Prime driving weather is just now getting here for me. I love driving through the mountains when the leaves change color, which hasn't started here yet. Fall is my favorite time of year.

40 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Bad weather already, or just done for the year? Prime driving weather is just now getting here for me. I love driving through the mountains when the leaves change color, which hasn't started here yet. Fall is my favorite time of year.

I had appointments in Northern Wisconsin so the Black and I took a drive. Put on about 380 miles. Scenery was beautiful but because I have ECM issues [code e042] I got less then 22 mpg. No appointments tomorrow so I am going to swap a different one in. Also am tired of the [too loud for me] aftermarket exhaust that the PO put on so will swap in an exhaust I cut off a Reatta I parted out.  

• Like 1

Can a 1989 ECM prom go in a 1988? I have two extra ASSU proms.

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

I got less then 22 mpg.

Is you gas prices still going up? A few days ago ours was $2.99, the cheapest I've say it. Don't know if it's back up again or not since OPEC is cutting production.

That was Murphy brand at Walmart. She said it is $3.29 at the Shell station where I get mine.

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Can a 1989 ECM prom go in a 1988? I have two extra ASSU proms.

I don't think so. I don't know with 100% certainty but when I found I couldn't read the '88 chip portion with the code that reads '89 and '90, I am pretty sure it won't work. I have an ANBM, the middle one for 1988 and would gladly trade for any 1990?

When I filled up the Reatta yesterday (10/6), I paid $3.849 at the local Shell Station....up from $3.659 the previous day.  This time of year, I drive the '00 Eldorado out and about until the snow flies.  Fall I like, Winter I hate.

Update:  I checked the miles driven from April this year 'til now when I put it in storage...644 miles 2022. 

Edited by ship
  • Like 1

How does $6.97 per gallon sound?   California gas is so special that only the chosen few can afford it.   Year in and year out the high gas price is attributed to special additives and the usual argument that the refineries can't produce enough gas.   I just close my eyes when I fill up the car and think of the "green new deal" and everything will be just fine.

• Sad 2

I drive my Reattas mostly for work and put on between 25-30,000 miles a year. Because I work off referrals and existing clients my closing rate is about 95% so every time  I go out I'm making money, so I look at gas as not costing me money but helping me make money. I'm sure my attitude will change when I quit working but hopefully that day is still 10 years out. I'm only 65 and the work is mostly occasional [I sell Medicare products] so other then the fall I almost nothing to do. But I'll put on 10-12,000 miles between October to January and then two driving trips to Texas and a number of "staycations". Also seeing Bob [my retired machinist friend] is a 70 mile round trip.

I don't like the increase in the gas prices, but for me it's just a part of what I deal with in my life.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Went over to Bob's today and we installed an after market muffler to replace the aftermarket one that had a split seem and was getting loud. The complete exhaust system was also aftermarket so it did get involved a bit. But we got it done and the car is much quieter and my wife is happier. 

• Like 3

On 8/28/2022 at 12:28 PM, Ronnie said:

Here are some photos. I found that it's hard to take them without my ugly face being in the picture. 🙂  I wanted the spot mirror to follow the top edge of the side mirror a little better, even though the instructions did say to have the bottom edge of the spot mirror parallel to the ground like I have it. I didn't know the adhesive was going to grab as soon as I touched the glass like it did. Still, I'm happy with the way it turned out....

The spot mirrors do a good job of showing things in the blind spot but I never could get use to it being on the top corner. Today I  remove it and put the mirror that is intended to be on the passenger side on the bottom. It fits the contour of the mirror really well.

Now I can use the top portion of the mirror as usual and still see the blind spot by looking at the bottom when needed. I drove about 100 miles today and I think the new location works better for me.

Old location:

SAM_4475 (2).JPG

New location:

spot mirror2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I have two mirror kits [used both sides on the Red but only the drivers on the Black] and will put one remaining passenger mirror on the vert' driver's side when I get to Texas. Looks like a winner Ronnie!

Edited by DAVES89
  • Thanks 1