What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

1 hour ago, 2seater said:

Just so you know, most of the EGR can be disassembled and cleaned. The three solenoids are fixed but the pintles and ports are cleanable in case a little carbon is holding one open a bit. Each solenoid can be cycled in override mode to see if they are operational.

You seem to be very knowledgeable on these cars, as does Ronnie. My CRT screen goes blank occasionally and comes back on after awhile. Mostly when the ambient air temperature is hot. Like the summer time or when running the heater full blast in the winter.  I don't know if that could have anything to do with my current engine performance problem as the CRT has always done that since I got the car, but this issue is recent.   

In case anyone is interested the chime module for an '88/89 Reatta is located on the back side of the CRT controller by way of a bracket. Very hard to spot, but easy to get to going through the console panel on the driver's side.

[Dealing with a cornering lamp issue]. The lights all work as they should all the way around the car [front and rear]  but the left front directional won't flash [passenger side does]. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 7:12 PM, DAVES89 said:

Now the directional works as it should but the same bulb doesn't illuminate while being used as a running light. Is it still the relay or should I look at the silver box that runs the directional?

3 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

The lights all work as they should all the way around the car [front and rear]  but the left front directional won't flash [passenger side does]. 

Is the problem changing from one day to the next. Seems like in one post you say the light not flashing is the problem and then its the running park light isn't working. Did you make any progress yesterday after we talked?

It appears I had the wrong relay in relay slot "E". So yes things have changed. I swapped a correct relay into "E" and I now have the corning lamp on solid as I should. However when I turn the directional on the drivers side I don't get the flash on and off in the front, but the rear flashes as it should.

The passenger side works fine. [Solid light and directional flashes on and off as it should both front and rear].

I also swapped out the chime module with one from a Reatta I parted out. I have two more from other parted Reattas if you think I should try a different one.

Key on... If you switch on the turn signal when the parking light is burning, does that light bulb go out or just doesn't start flashing?

When I have the key on the parking light is burning. When I turn on the directional the light goes out and doesn't flash.

When you switch on the turn signal with the key on does the white cornering light come on and stay on as it should?

Which I could be of assistance here,

but I am closely following along and hope to learn something myself for possible future reference !! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

When you switch on the turn signal with the key on does the white cornering light come on and stay on as it should?

Yes the white cornering light comes on and the chime sounds. The rear taillight works as it should.

I also changed the chime module and it made no difference.

17 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

also changed the chime module and it made no difference.

You have swapped out the Turn/Hazard Module right? It isn't the same as the chime module. I'm assuming you have changed both of them.

Since the white cornering light is coming on, and the turn signal light goes out when you turn on left blinker, it proves the Turn/Hazard module is supplying 12 volts to pick up "park/turn" relay E via the green highlighted circuit as it should.  And since the turn signal bulb is burning via the brown highlighted circuit when the turn signal isn't on, it proves the circuit from relay E to the turn signal bulb is good.

Where the problem lies is in the circuit highlighted in red. The Turn/Hazard Module should be sending 12 volts in pulses through the contacts in relay E to make the turn signal light flash when you turn the left blinker on. That isn't happening for some reason.

Either the module isn't sending the pulsed 12 volts when the left blinker is on.

Or there is a bad connection between the module and pin 4 on relay E.

Or the connector where the relay plugs into the breaker box is bad on pin 4.

It's also possible the contacts in relay E are bad but I think you have changed relays several time already.

I think you might need Kendall's assistance again to help you track down the problem, but I think if you show him this message and the photo below he will be able to track down what's causing the problem. Let me know if I can help.

turn signal flasher-2.jpeg

I swapped out the module [which one is that?] located behind the fuse box piggy backed on the CRT Controller. What other module is there and where is that located? Is there a picture of both of them?

The FSM says there is a chime module in the dash above the glovebox but I don't think it is related to your problem.

turn signal chime.jpeg

I think this is the module that controls the turn signal light. Looks like it might be located behind the CRT controller. I don't know.

turn-hazard module.jpeg

• Like 1

I don't have any chime modules [can get one at Gibson's] but I do have three extra turn signal modules [TSM]. I did find the TSM and it is piggybacked to the CRT Controller. I did swap that one out and it made no change to my issue. 

I would swap out the turn/hazard module with another one. While you have the connector off the module, you should check for continuity in the light blue wire (highlighted in red in my photo) that runs between the module connector and pin 4 on park/turn relay E . When the left turn signal is on, that light blue wire should have 12 volts pulsing on and off to make the turn signal light flash.

I don't think swapping the chime module above the glovebox would make any difference but who knows.

• Like 1

Can someone tell me what the issue is with my CRT going completely dark intermittently and then lighting up as it should equally as unpredictably ?? (After I am guessing it "cools" down ??) Is this a somewhat common occurrence with this technology ??  It was certainly remarkable,  being it was 30 yrs ahead of touch screen cell phones and computer monitors being common place.    

Does anyone have a downloadable copy of this Reatta "Field Service Manual" this is being referenced in numerous posts/comments ?? I would much rather donate $27.00 bucks to the "Reatta Owners Journal" website than to some online service manual republishing outfit,  where in my opinion the funds will go to a much better and valued source.  

The CRT is probably going bad. You could try removing it and cleaning the connections but not likely the problem.

Manuals are here: Reatta FSMs   I wish I could post the FSMs here on ROJ but I'm afraid GM might come after me since I don't have a license to do so.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 6:29 AM, Ronnie said:

I would swap out the turn/hazard module with another one. While you have the connector off the module, you should check for continuity in the light blue wire (highlighted in red in my photo) that runs between the module connector and pin 4 on park/turn relay E . When the left turn signal is on, that light blue wire should have 12 volts pulsing on and off to make the turn signal light flash.

I don't think swapping the chime module above the glovebox would make any difference but who knows.

Turned out to be a broken wire between the relay box and the first bulkhead under the air filter box. We did do a jumper from the relay box to the directional module and the directional and it worked so then we went to that first bulkhead and there it was.

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 1