What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

3 minutes ago, 2seater said:

You didn't pass the ghost of Rod Serling hitchhiking, did you?

No, but we noticed that the corn in that huge field had grown about three feet since were were stranded there. I'm thinking "Children of the Corn" have have something to do with that place. It was certainly an adult nightmare for us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I know for some people here that refuse to use Rock Auto, I placed an order with them last night to replenish my back stock inventory of Reatta parts. I ordered another Harmonic Balancer, 2 each Crank Sensors, Spark Plugs, Lower Radiator Hose, Outer Tie Rod, and another Ball Joint. I also contacted 2seater and ordered a part for him as well. 

I'm actually thinking about ordering a Rack and Pinion and other parts as I have a fear of more parts being discontinued.

As everyone knows I drive one Reatta or another every day so parts are very important to me.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

I know for some people here that refuse to use Rock Auto, I placed an order with them last night to replenish my back stock inventory of Reatta parts.

I think they have the best online parts catalog in the business. Everything is easy to find and the part numbers are accurate. Nobody beats their prices. What I don't like is their shipping costs and policies. What I really hate is their service-after-the-sale when something goes wrong. Amazon has spoiled me with free shipping and free returns. Their prices are reasonable on quality, name brand, parts. The downside is they don't have the selection and availability that Rock Auto does.  I don't blame you for buying from Rock Auto but Amazon will get my business from now on unless Rock Auto is the only source for the part I need. Never say never. 🙂 

Fingers crossed so far, no issues with Rock Auto...but then again, I've never had to return a part.

17 minutes ago, ship said:

Fingers crossed so far, no issues with Rock Auto...but then again, I've never had to return a part.

I've ordered from them twice and both times I had to return parts. A shock in my first order was damaged. They replaced it immediately. That was the kind of service I expected. On my next order they sent the wrong part. I had to pay to return the part and they deducted my original shipping cost, (which was high), from my refund.  I lost big time on that order and there was no way to talk to a human about it. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice..." Not going to happen.

• Agree 1

Ronnie... WOW, Rock Auto surely did rip you off re: your second order.  You have every right to be PO'd.

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2022 at 5:01 AM, DAVES89 said:

In my case there was minimal leaking of antifreeze from the engine after I removed the hoses so I would say removal of the hoses could be before starting the interior work or after the preliminary work is done[removal of glove box, controller, etc]. 

However I would do it first because then you could wash your hands and keep everything a bit cleaner inside the car.

I would think that cleaning/drying the carpet would be first before starting work as one will be laying down doing the swap. I also removed the passenger seat to give way more room.

All the parts are now here. Heater core next week...

I'm glad June is over. So far this month I replaced the antenna [two different ones], the crank sensor and harmonic balancer, and heater core/heater hoses. Been a rough month and truly the heater core ranks right up there with the replacement of a rack and pinion [which I did once but never again]. 

Also looking at replacing the temperature control module. Have to get out to Gibson's and hope that Jim Finn didn't grab them all...

• Like 1

Dave, how much work is it to replace the heater core? I need to do mine on my 88 and haven't looked it up yet. I'm going to be replacing valve cover gaskets too as mine are leaking and oil is burning on the engine exterior. Fun stuff!!!

The guy said about an hour and a half but I must not be as good as it took me about 3 hours. I also removed the passenger to have more room for me to move around. 

Be sure to turn the seat nuts upside down and then either the floor mat or carpet mats to protect yourself from the bolts.

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed my left front [Drivers side] directional wasn't working. Swapped out the bulb [with a tested used one, these bulbs are discontinued]. No light. Checked the relay ["E"] in the relay center under the hood. Tested the original bulb that I had removed and it was good. Tried a new relay, no good. Swapped a relay from the "Horn" spot  still no luck. 

Passenger side works as it should.

Any ideas?

Does the left rear flash? Does the indicator on the dash flash?

Just checked.

Dash indicator flashes for  right and left side.

Right [passenger] flashes front and back

Left [driver] flashes rear only front does not flash

The light that goes "bright" when the directional goes on works as it should [drivers side]

Emergency or hazard flashers work on all corners but the drivers front

This is on the Red 1989 

Relay "E" under the hood is the most likely suspect. It only controls the left front turn signal light, but not the rear. See if you can hear relay E clicking when the bulb should be flashing.

Then check the relay F when you have the right (passenger) side turn signal flashing for a comparison. 

Today, I went to a Bay State Antique Car Club car show at the Endicott Estate, Dedham, MA.  Good God Gert there had to be 4000 cars of all makes there.  We BCA Minuteman Chapter members were well represented with 13 Buicks, which included a '41 four-door convertible, a '35 four-door sedan, a couple of '56's, 2 Reattas (mine included), along with other notable Buicks.  Weather couldn't have been better...mid-seventies with low humidity.

Sorry, no pic's, though...too busy admiring all the show cars.    

• Like 3

On 7/10/2022 at 3:09 PM, Ronnie said:

Relay "E" under the hood is the most likely suspect. It only controls the left front turn signal light, but not the rear. See if you can hear relay E clicking when the bulb should be flashing.

Then check the relay F when you have the right (passenger) side turn signal flashing for a comparison. 

Went over to Kendall's tonight [we try to shoot pool every Tuesday on his table] and I asked him to help me figure out why the relay isn't working in the socket. Prior to going over [two days ago] I swapped in a new relay with no results. So I pop the hood move the bar and take off the relay cover, start the car and try the left directional ... and it works!  I then try the right directional and that works too. So I am not sure as to why it didn't work at my house but works at Kendall's but everything seems to be good.

The only other change I made was to replace the old battery as it wouldn't allow me to work on the car for more then a half hour before going dead. It was a used battery from Gibson's that was in for 5 years. Not bad for a $20.00 battery. BTW I bought a replacement at Gibson's, this one is 15 months old still under warranty from AutoZone and cost me another $20.00 with a core swap.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2022 at 7:40 AM, Ronnie said:

I think they have the best online parts catalog in the business. Everything is easy to find and the part numbers are accurate. Nobody beats their prices. What I don't like is their shipping costs and policies. What I really hate is their service-after-the-sale when something goes wrong. Amazon has spoiled me with free shipping and free returns. Their prices are reasonable on quality, name brand, parts. The downside is they don't have the selection and availability that Rock Auto does.  I don't blame you for buying from Rock Auto but Amazon will get my business from now on unless Rock Auto is the only source for the part I need. Never say never. 🙂 

I had my first "incident" with Rock Auto. Ordered some discontinued parts [GM crank sensors] and they got as far as Chicago. Fed ex was no help so the items are now lost. Had to wait 2 weeks for Fed ex to acknowledge a problem, then 4 more days to allow Rock Auto to do a trace. No parts, no luck. Just received a full credit for the two sensors, sales tax and freight.

Back to even although I really wanted the GM sensors!

So I just went to Amazon [we are Prime clients] and ordered two Standard crank sensors. $2.00 more each but no freight so I came out better then just ordering from Roack Auto and paying for freight.

• Like 1

Glad you got your money back. Last time I ordered from them I lost money due to no fault of my own. I'm sticking with Amazon when I can.