What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

Finally got the heated part of my garage, my winter shop space, cleaned up and organized enough to pull out the 1988 block I got from Daves89. I have mentioned this future project before, but to synopsize:  The block had very low miles, ~5k, but it had severe internal rust damage to the heads and block, which was seized up. I couldn't leave well enough alone and had the block bored .030" oversize, and the worst cylinder was offset bored to save it for a future supercharged project, which has been languishing for years now. I intended to buy the parts from an s/c engine but as luck would have it I acquired and entire complete 1995 s/c engine in which I detailed the teardown in a previous thread on this forum. If I had purchased the s/c engine prior to the work I had done to the 88 block, I would have abandoned the 88 and put the money into the s/c engine, but that's water over the dam now. I intend to go ahead with the transplant supercharger on the 1988 block, a true winter project.

My intention is to use up leftover parts and parts from other engines to wind up with something that works. The last full day was looking for bearings, freeze plugs, measuring the crank journals etc. I found two half sets of King brand main bearings, one set standard and one set .001" under. I had used the other half of the two sets on a previous engine for the purpose of tightening up the clearance by a half thousandth. In this case, the crank, which I think may be Daves from his 89, is almost spot on spec, even after polishing, so it is hard to say if the slight undersize will work out or not. I found a complete set of what looks like ACL rod bearings but they are made in China so they are probably clones. I still have the box for the bearings I actually used on the last engine which are genuine ACL made in Australia. Also I had a previously installed but never used Enginetech cam bearings. I don't remember why I removed them after installation but they are now installed in the 88 block and I also trial fit the new Clevite 1988 spec camshaft, which turns freely. Feels pretty good to be finally moving forward. 

• Like 1

Glad you are starting on this. I will go through my parts bin and pull some engine stuff I am sure I won't need. I know I have the flywheel from that engine and I have some extra gaskets that we didn't use. When we meet up next week I will have them with me...

5 hours ago, 2seater said:

I intend to go ahead with the transplant supercharger on the 1988 block, a true winter project.

Sounds like a fun project. Let us know how it goes.

My Reatta had been sitting in the same spot for quite a while so yesterday I got my Reatta out and drove it around a little. Just enough to limber it up and to keep the tires from getting flat spots on them from sitting in the same spot too long. I closed the battery cut-off switch, waited for the brakes to build pressure, and it fired right up. I let it idle for a few minutes and headed down the road a couple of miles. It always brings a smile to my face when I drive it after not being in it for a while. It reminds me why I continue to keep it after owning it for 15 years.

In the past I rarely kept a weekend car (toy) for more than 4 or 5 years before getting rid of it and moving on to something else. I've owned a lot of British and Italian sports cars but I always got bored with them. My Reatta has been the exception. Not only do I enjoy driving my Reatta, I enjoy discussing my Reatta with all the nice people I have met online in the Reatta community. You guys are the best!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

My Reatta had been sitting in the same spot for quite a while so yesterday I got my Reatta out and drove it around a little. Just enough to limber it up and to keep the tires from getting flat spots on them from sitting in the same spot too long. I closed the battery cut-off switch, waited for the brakes to build pressure, and it fired right up. I let it idle for a few minutes and headed down the road a couple of miles. It always brings a smile to my face when I drive it after not being in it for a while. It reminds me why I continue to keep it after owning it for 15 years.

In the past I rarely kept a weekend car (toy) for more than 4 or 5 years before getting rid of it and moving on to something else. I've owned a lot of British and Italian sports cars but I always got bored with them. My Reatta has been the exception. Not only do I enjoy driving my Reatta, I enjoy discussing my Reatta with all the nice people I have met online in the Reatta community. You guys are the best!

The funny and coincident thing about this story is it sounds like an echo of almost the same words Daves89 and I had yesterday at lunch. We both felt the same way. The first drive out of storage just makes us smile. Similar words used to describe other cars we have had, but something is just "right" about a late 80's GM fwd V6 automobile dressed in a fancy frock as the Brits would say.  It makes little sense and yet the feeling does exist.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 2seater said:

The funny and coincident thing about this story is it sounds like an echo of almost the same words Daves89 and I had yesterday at lunch.

For me that is the only thing I miss as a Reatta owner. I don't have anyone that I can meet up with to talk about Reattas. They are a rare bird around here and I don't know the name of a single person that owns one in my area.

Well Ronnie, you can always move up here and enjoy our beautiful winters. We can go junkin, swap Crank sensors in 20 degree weather, all kinds of stuff! lol!

• Agree 1

Dave, I appreciate the offer. It's 57 here right now and it was in the in the 60s yesterday. I'd have a hard time leaving that for your weather. I've got so use to Tee shirts being my everyday attire... or just a light jacket that I would have a hard time adjusting.  🙂 

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

I've got so use to Tee shirts being my everyday attire... or just a light jacket that I would have a hard time adjusting.  🙂 

Nothing says you need to dress differently. Of course, you may want to add another layer or two, but the tee shirt is just fine.😎

Would a sea be good enough? We have one of those about 25 miles from here. You wouldn't have to worry about a Nor'easter on this sea. It's got a roof over it. 🙂

• Like 3

The Lost Lake - I didn't know it existed. Truly an "American Wonder" as stated in the video - thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Took the Reatta out of its storage igloo Monday (April 4, 2022) for its yearly MA auto safety inspection (no emissions test needed; car is too old).  No pictures as I think you folks looking at a Reatta in an igloo would be quite boring.  I ended up returning it to its igloo and recovering it today due to rain expected Wednesday thru Friday....I know the car gets spoiled by me.

• Like 1

It's rainy here today so I took some time this morning to thoroughly clean the inside of the windows. It was hard to believe how dirty the back window was. I drive most of the time with the windows down, so I guess it gets bombarded by most of the dust and dirt that comes in through the side windows. Getting to that rear glass was tough on an old man. I will be sore for a few days but I will get over it. 🙂 I have been using a glass cleaning product caused "Invisible Glass" in an aerosol can for a while now. I like it better than anything I've used so far, and I've tried a lot of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

It's rainy here today so I took some time this morning to thoroughly clean the inside of the windows. It was hard to believe how dirty the back window was. I drive most of the time with the windows down, so I guess it gets bombarded by most of the dust and dirt that comes in through the side windows. Getting to that rear glass was tough on an old man. I will be sore for a few days but I will get over it. 🙂 I have been using a glass cleaning product caused "Invisible Glass" in an aerosol can for a while now. I like it better than anything I've used so far, and I've tried a lot of them.

I cleaned the back glass on my car for the first time last year and you really do have to contort yourself to get it done. The window was so filthy that I’m guessing the previous owner had not done it in years. I used magic eraser sheets, micro fiber cloths and the Invisible Glass for a good result. 

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

I use Invisible Glass and a magic eraser, also... it's a good combo.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dropped the top for the first time this year. A nice 75 degrees here in Southern Illinois today. 80 degree weather this weekend. 

08ABD7EF-0CBB-47F1-B75A-C91D04A398D1.jpeg

• Like 5

Drove the vert down to Giant City State Park, “Illinois’ most scenic park.” The sweet smells of wildflowers are in the air. 

3AF85BC6-F036-4026-A91C-A5D77E9D5FB6.jpeg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BlakesReatta said:

Drove the vert down to Giant City State Park, “Illinois’ most scenic park.” The sweet smells of wildflowers are in the air. 

Looks like a peaceful place. I took a drive about 70 miles from my home today to visit the graveyard where my father is buried. As I drove through a small town I stumbled across a little cruise-in, so I stopped and hung out for a while to look at the cars.

I got the same question I usually get about my Reatta... "What kind of car is that?".  I'm starting to like it. 🙂 

ms car show-4.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Looks like a peaceful place. I took a drive about 70 miles from my home today to visit the graveyard where my father is buried. As I drove through a small town I stumbled across a little cruise-in, so I stopped and hung out for a while to look at the cars.

I got the same question I usually get about my Reatta... "What kind of car is that?".  I'm starting to like it. 🙂 

ms car show-4.jpg

Ronnie, your car is beautiful and shining! I have to say other than the guy with the Reatta with Pontiac rims, I like your aftermarket rims best. That looks like a neat town you stopped in.

My car is dusty and I need to shine it up. I get a few looks and questions about the car. The last time somebody asked, they thought it was a LeBaron and of course when you say REATTA, some people think you say Miata...haha

• Like 1