Headlight repair diagnostics

Posti

The right headlight on my 1989 Reatta coupe does not come up unless someone provides a slight lift.  Then it pops right up, and lowers with no issues.  Would this be the bushings, rather than a problem with the motor pivot arm?   Thanks!

Sounds like you have a crank arm issue. There are a number of vendors who sell them. Check Ronnie's store I think they are listed there.

When I got my Reatta the lights were having the same problem. Your best bet is to get a headlight repair kit for each headlight. The bushings in the gearbox are sure to be bad if they have never been changed. In most cases the crankarm will  have the hole rounded out where it fits on the gearbox shaft (see photo). That was the case with my headlight motors too. Instructions for rebuilding the headlight motors will come with the kit. There are also instructions for removing the headlight assembly here.

SAM_1838.thumb.JPG.bf36e5ceeb2631365e6c0ef583cf0442.JPG

Thanks for the reply! Theya re sold out of the repair kit at the moment. I'll look for other sources.

The Reatta Specialty Parts Headlight kits should be back in stock soon but if you are in a hurry there are other kits for sale. I recommended this one because I used it on my car with good results.

Try some lubrication first on the pivot points.  Worked for me until it started to get colder at night.  A rebuild is on my list too. :P :P