Road trip to the Corvette Museum

Ronnie

Guest Corvanti

Cool  :cool: !!!

being a former owner of 3 Corvettes ('74, '80 and '99) - plus my parents being from the area, and me until the age of 5 - it's one of the places to visit that's on my Bucket List. ;)

I screwed up big time on my trip to the Corvette Museum today but in the end it turned out great. I didn't get to see any Corvettes made in the factory due to the public not being able to take a tour this week. I didn't find that out until I got to the museum.

The reason it turned out great was because of the guy you can barely see in the background in the photo below (red shirt). His name was Dave. He was a member of the museum staff who came out of the museum while I was taking the photo. At first I thought he was coming out to ask me to move my car. There is a circle drive in front of the museum where Corvette owners go around the loop and stop to take a photo of their car in front of the museum. I was afraid I might have been holding up the line but there were only two Corvette owners waiting behind me.

PortfolioClosed.jpg.2a8e2c882ae901f68514adbf3995e3eb.jpg

SAM_2834.JPG.dbaab20b8f8695823cdaf39385d529bb.JPG

SAM_2836.JPG.596aed1492f7ee9b1f7a292c99b046d2.JPG

SAM_2833.JPG.c8c1278eae74cbe263081d15542bca07.JPG

SAM_2831.JPG.d7d243d66b638729331e2eef4e27f777.JPG

SAM_2832.JPG.c9a2af33e661a6a3a6aa89469ffa0302.JPG

Pretty cool stuff Ronnie. I think the heads you referred to are the Ardun conversions for the flathead Ford, a contraction of his name. I am pretty certain hemi style heads pre-date even those in other foreign and defunct domestic names. I have been by the museum many times when attending the GS Nationals at Beech Bend Raceway in Bowling Green and could kick myself for never finding the time to visit the museum. Thanks for sharing.

You really should stop to visit the museum. There is a lot to see so allow plenty of time. I took the quick tour with Dave and then I left because I knew I would be visiting it again when I go back to see the assembly plant that I missed. Watching them assemble the Corvettes is the main thing I wanted to see and I missed it yesterday. It is only 180 miles from where I live and I really enjoyed the scenic drive on the back roads. I look forward to doing it again.

Here is some photos of an interesting Corvette. It is the first Corvette I saw when I started the museum tour. It had a room dedicated to it so I'm sure it had some historical significance but I didn't take the time to read up on it. There is just so much to read and look at in the museum that it is overwhelming to try and take it all in.

SAM_2819.JPG.a64007fcb766e0e154e97eaa11ad8f60.JPG

SAM_2820.JPG.8a64a97d144364c337533e2185bd817f.JPG

SAM_2822.JPG.a51ced477e80d346c56779ed8b69e67b.JPG

SAM_2821.JPG.63d113d57c353341ca9ea90b1f67940c.JPG

Ronnie,

My son and his wife currently live in Athens, AL. My wife and other son were down that way about a month ago.

We go right by there (twice) each time we visit them. I keep "threatening" to stop at the Museum each time but as yet, have not done so.

These photos make me think that I really need to plan a stop there next time we go visit them.

The trip for us isn't as pleasant as yours seem to be. It's roughly a ten hour trip considering "courtesy" stops, road construction and all.

Hitting the Museum might just be the thing to do to break up the trip.

John F.

Dave, (the staff member at the museum) said he saw a lot of similarities between one of the Corvette prototypes and a Reatta. At first I didn't think so but now I think I see some similarities between the Reatta and the Corvette after all when I compare the photos below. I don't want to offend any Corvette owners but... between this model Corvette (1984) and my Reatta I actually think the Reatta looks much better. I wish GM had given the Reatta the Corvette horsepower.

1717106608_corvettemuseum-1.JPG.10a68914cb7ecf263895799bea59ab22.JPG

051512_1.jpg.e158ecd3e165d0f310bac2fc1168f169.jpg

• Like 1

Ronnie,

My son and his wife currently live in Athens, AL. My wife and other son were down that way about a month ago.

We go right by there (twice) each time we visit them. I keep "threatening" to stop at the Museum each time but as yet, have not done so.

These photos make me think that I really need to plan a stop there next time we go visit them.

The trip for us isn't as pleasant as yours seem to be. It's roughly a ten hour trip considering "courtesy" stops, road construction and all.

Hitting the Museum might just be the thing to do to break up the trip.

John F.

Ten hours?  You definitely need a break. The museum would be a good place to stop and stretch your legs. One of the first stops inside the museum is a theater with a movie about the museum and Corvettes. You might want to take advantage of those seats to grab a quick nap. The movie almost put me to sleep so I left way before it was over.  ;)

• Ronnie featured this topic