Delco one touchentry system

Reattasteve

Hi Everyone,

I have my 1990 vert in for repairs. They replaced the fuel pump and have the pressure up to 39, but it still will not stay started. It turns over but dies right away. The mechanic says that the wiring to the keyless remote is all jacked up. Not from me but the previous owner. I don't have a 1990 FSM. Is the schematic the same as a 1989? Can some one give me a schematic or tell me what the resistance is for each wire going in and coming out of the keyless decoder modual. Also if someone has an extra modual they would sell I'd appreciate it.

I can't answer your question about the '90 model with certainty. I don't own one. I can't think of a way that the remote keyless entry could keep the engine from running but I guess it is possible.

Questions come to mind about the starting and then dieing.

1. Will it keep running smoothly if you hold the gas pedal down a little? If so the Idle Air Controller could be dirty or bad.

2. Have you replaced the ignition module? A failure mode of the ignition module is starting and then stopping, ten starting right up again.

Really you need to know if loosing fuel is causing the engine to stop or if lack of spark is causing it to stop. A little basic testing should be able to tell you that.

The repair shop is saying everything points to the keyless entry. The car start then dies immediately. They can keep it going with stater fluid but then it jest dies again. I did find a keyless remote modual I had from a 1989. I don't know if you can just swap them out or do they need to be programmed. Is the wireing schematic the same for 1989 and 1990?

Thanks,

Steve

I think the fact that the engine able to run on starter fluid probably rules out the ignition system. It must be getting spark for it to run on starter fluid. The mechanic should start and run it with a fuel pressure gauge connected to the fuel rail to see if it is maintaining proper fuel pressure. Don't assume fuel pressure is good just because a new pump was installed.

I agree. I'll have to talk to the mechanic tomorrow and let him know everyones ideas. Especially the Ignition Modual. I don't know how the mechanic arrived at the theory of the keyless entry problem, but since he said the wiring has been messed with it needs to be addressed. Back to my original question. Do you or someone else know if the 1989 and 1990 keyless entries are the same set up and can you switch out the keyless entry moduals?

Back to my original question. Do you or someone else know if the 1989 and 1990 keyless entries are the same set up and can you switch out the keyless entry moduals?

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that question. I've never thought about it because '88 models like mine don't have RKE. Maybe someone with a later model will chime in who knows...

Can I ask why the mechanic thinks the remote system wiring is messed up? There is a specific process to program and check the system. If he is thinking it is a security safeguard disabling the ignition systems the Reatta's do have a theft deterrent relay which is tied into the alarm.

If that system was messed with then you will have problems with it not starting but I think the remotes are separate from that system other than turning off your alarm by unlocking it.

Here is a link on how to disable the security system: Disable Security System

Also AZRon posted a couple informational videos available on YouTube about programming and troubleshooting the Remote systems on the Reatta. It is for the 89' and includes other model Buick's But it should be the same system; I will check my FSM to make sure.

Here is the link to the video on YouTube

Fast forward to about 9 minutes this is where the Reatta/Riviera Starts and the Troubleshooting starts at about 11 minutes.

Here is the instructions on how to program the remote system RKE (Remote Keyless Entry)

RKE

I know it is a lot to read through and watch but it may help avoid a costly bill for something that is not the problem.

Let us know what you have figured out or resolved.

Thanks

I think the '89-91 modules are the same. I don't have a '90 manual to spare but I have an extra '90 update manual that covers the change from '89 to '90. It's yours for freight.

Send me your address and I will get it out to you.

Yeah I think Dave is right but I don't have the update manual so I can't say for sure if that system was changed.

I looked at my manual and there are 18 pages that cover the Remote Entry system, so unless you need something specific that I can post I am not sure what information to post.

I did take a few pictures of the first section of troubleshooting the RKE as seen below.

This first page shows the location of the modules and such (See Convertible)

Continued

Page1.thumb.jpg.bebb241b4c7f105a2b7d043df1aceba0.jpg

Page2.jpg.791bb1bd7b67ea23d3cfdd1736d3c1f8.jpg

Page3.jpg.97390218df90873e2ef21a2a5454de0b.jpg

Page4.thumb.jpg.762770417b009c057317f40b26648a30.jpg

Page5.thumb.jpg.2f86a67e056d0db6e7084818c33b56f0.jpg

Page6.thumb.jpg.5a703f801cd1c67591c17a499a686ab3.jpg

Page7.thumb.jpg.ebe7964e47d3e875b7d74729c2f809c2.jpg

Page8.thumb.jpg.e6916336d7251e35e93e0e8f5f9b2c6a.jpg

Just let me know what the freight charge is and I'll send you a check. I have your address. Mine is

Steven Squires

230 W. Bennett

Ferndale, Mi. 48220

Thank you very much,

Steve

I found it in my 1989 FSM. I noticed it talked about the Theft Deterant Relay. I would think that that would keep the car from even turning over. Who Knoww? I'm going to take the FSM to the repair shop and see if it can give them a clue. Who knew that all this would start after replacing the battery.

Thank You for all your help.

Steve

These "update" manuals were a throw in when I bought all the shop manuals a dealer had.

I'll send it tomorrow.

$5.00

Good luck.

I paper clipped the section referring to the Keyless entry and theft deterrent in my 1989 FSM and took it to the Repair place. I talked to the Owner and told him about all of your suggestions an concerns. He told me the reason for them concentrating on the keyless entry was codes. The Owner is going to look over the info in the FSM and go from there. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Steve

P.S. He might go on the ReattaOwners site as a guest to ask some questions.

This may be way out there but here goes. The 91 Corvette I used to own would not start after I installed new injectors and intake manifold gaskets. While I was waiting for my new injectors to be shipped I pulled the air bag fuse and took the airbag and steering wheel off to recover the wheel.

The car guys in my family and I along with an ASE GMC dealer mechanic next door tried everything to find the problem. Spark, fuel pressure, resealing the intake, and prayer. I took another look at the starting sequence for the L98 GM engine and found that the car will not start if the airbag has been deployed and never replaced.

Sure enough - I had not replaced the air bag fuse. I plugged it in and she roared to life! Check the air bag fuse! 20x20http://reattaowner.com/roj/media/kunena/emoticons/shocked.png[/img]

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for everyones input. I got the car back today. It was missing the theft deterrant module and the key decoder module. Plus all the wiring was fried. The a..hole brfore me must of tried to bypass the theft deterrant and screwed everything up. Anyway it's safe and sound back home.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Steve