Teves ABS Pump never stops

Aztec62

...wed. I leave for Kentucky to welcome the rain from Irma to Bowling Green, (Buick GS Nationals), ...

Darn, I wish that had been on a different weekend. I would have liked to go to that. Oh well. Going to see a private car collection in Chattanooga on Saturday and meeting Dave in Nashville on Sunday will be fun too. :)

Hello all,

you are not going to believe it, but my Teves MkII unit finally works OK!

I pulled the pump apart once more and found the pump plungers blocked again.

Then I cleaned everthing with brake cleaner and put it back together.

The plungers and balls were moving nicely.

This time I wasted no time to run the pump on the bench with my test setup.

Instead I installed the pump in the car.

Switched on ignition and voilá! - the pump started to build pressure.

The pump switches on and off nicley.

I can press the brake pedal approx. 10 times before the pump restarts.

I love it!

Thanks again for all the help,

Henning

Although you have went through hell to get your brake pump working, the information you have provided is invaluable. Your posts have taught us a lot. I for one didn't have a clue about how the pump actually worked internally or how it came apart before this tread was started. I had just assumed that it was a vane type of pump. Who would have dreamed that it would have pistons that pumped the fluid or that they were actuated with a rotor moving inside an eccentric pump housing? Heck, I didn't even know there was a filter in the reservoir.

The alarm was sounded many years ago by Barney Eaton, Jim Finn and others about the importance of changing the fluid. Your posts about the pistons being blocked have validated how important it is to flush the Teves brakes with new fluid on a regular basis. Thank you for taking the time to post the information and photos.

I wish that you could have found the source of what was contaminating the fluid so bad that it was blocking the pistons. That is something we may never know...

Ronnie,

thank you for your comment.

If there is something not working, I like to find out why.

That is just me, It has always been like that, even when I was still a kid.

The contamination is on my part i guess.

My test setup on the bench was no laboratory enviroment.

The particles which blocked my pump were not visible to the human eye

and have passed the filter mesh inside the pump easily.

The pump usually got blocked seconds later after it started to build pressure.

My ABS hell is not over yet:

The ABS light is still on, I have codes 33 and 47 (Rear right wheel speed sensor, rear wheel speed sensors)

I will check the sensor signals next weekend with my scope. Resistance values are within range.

Henning

Although you have went through hell to get your brake pump working, the information you have provided is invaluable. Your posts have taught us a lot. I for one didn't have a clue about how the pump actually worked internally or how it came apart before this tread was started. I had just assumed that it was a vane type of pump. Who would have dreamed that it would have pistons that pumped the fluid or that they were actuated with a rotor moving inside an eccentric pump housing? Heck, I didn't even know there was a filter in the reservoir.

The alarm was sounded many years ago by Barney Eaton, Jim Finn and others about the importance of changing the fluid. Your posts about the pistons being blocked have validated how important it is to flush the Teves brakes with new fluid on a regular basis. Thank you for taking the time to post the information and photos.

I wish that you could have found the source of what was contaminating the fluid so bad that it was blocking the pistons. That is something we may never know...

The continuous running of the pump causes an overheating of the pump, couple that with the heat from the engine can cook the brake fluid and will contaminate the system.