code 031 - Do I have to remove trans>?

fordrodsteven

I have been getting code E031. so in the trouble code diagnosis section it says to check E174 and it should read "LO" Mine reads "HI". Next step says to disconnect the connector and jump terminals A & B. That is where I'm stuck. I do not see the park/neutral switch to unplug it and jump the wires. When I look at figure 5 on page 7A1-5 it looks like the switch is right on top of the transmission. (to me that makes sense)

Where am I going wrong. I suppose I could just start tearing things apart until I find it but I think it would be better to just ask where I should be looking.

Look directly under the master cylinder, back toward the firewall on the transmission.

Thanks, Ron. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Thanks Ron, I can see where it is. I don't feel that ambitious today. I'll go at it later. LOL.

Okay. So nothing but bad news here. There were many cuss words and now I've finally calmed down enough to just turn off the lights in the garage and come in the house. There's a lot to this story but I'll try to stick to the park/neutral switch for now.

I decided since the park/neutral switch would be such a PITA to get at I would just get a new one and change it out while I digging to get to it anyway. SO I removed the air inlet tube then the cruise control module and I got down to the park/ neutral switch. I unhooked the shifter and proceeded to take off the shift lever (not). It was really tight. As I tried to loosen the nut the lever pushed further to the park position and felt like it hit a stop. I kept pulling on the wrench to loosen the nut and I thought I broke it loose. Well that didn't happen. Now the shift lever just rotates around 360 degrees and doesn't catch on any detents. I have the feeling I did a bad thing there. I suspect the next move is to pull the transmission to open it up and replace the shift lever internal parts.

My wife is very frustrated over this car. She didn't want me to buy it in the first place. I have enjoyed driving it what little I have. I have done a lot of work on it. I have a for sale sign in the back window but no-one has responded. She says I should just junk it. I'm getting a bit frustrated myself.

Anyway. I need to know how badly I messed this thing up. If I have to pull the tranny that might be that straw that broke the camel's back!

I'll take a look at the service manual and see what I can find out.

i'm looking at figure 37 on page 440-T4-17. Is that the culprit? The more I think about this the more mad I get!

The photo below is all I could find about the shifter shaft. Hopefully you can pull the pan off the bottom and see the parts that broke and replace them. Part #701 was the nut you were trying to turn. From the photo it looks like the rod #708 might be the weak point. If that is what broke maybe you can replace it. Maybe someone else can offer more help.

I know it's disappointing when things like this happen. Who would have though about that nut being so tight. I've learned a lesson. If I have to replace the switch I will be sure to hold the arm solidly while turning the nut.

attachment.php?aid=514

trans-shifter-rod.thumb.jpg.16fa502fddd2234e09ac6e98c845b0b6.jpg

i'm looking at figure 37 on page 440-T4-17. Is that the culprit? The more I think about this the more mad I get!

Yes, that is where I got the photo.

yeah..... Crap! I got ticked off then went out for dinner with my wife to try to make myself feel better. Trouble is... the problem is still sitting there in my garage. Oh well. I'll have to get started on it when I feel more ambitious than I do right at this moment. The bright spot in this is that it is already sitting on the lift in my garage.

I saw the video in response to your post on the AACA. Looks like the repair could be made without pulling the transmission if you could get the side cover off. I don't know if you could do that or not. Perhaps the transmission guys over there would know.

Thanks ! maybe I'll feel a little better if that is the case

Nope. I don't think I can leave it in and get it apart.  I have the tools and ability I am just not real thrilled about the whole thing. Now I wonder if I can get a part to replace what broke or if I should just start hunting for another whole replacement transmission.

I junked that tranny with most of the engine after I did the swap. I could have pulled that part for you. I took it to Gibson's and got about $13.00 in salvage for both.

I wouldn't buy a whole transmission. I would take an old transmission apart at the junk yard and get just the parts you need.

Thanks ! maybe I'll feel a little better if that is the case

Sorry fordrodsteven,

but it is not so easy.

Much more than just the side cover of the tranny will have to come off to have access to the parts in question.

First, to get access to the side cover at all, the front subframe halves will have to be separated and the front halve will have to come out.

Only then it is possible to lower the trans and get the side cover off.

Before that, the left front suspension will have to be removed completely, including the drive shaft.

With the side cover finally off, you will have to remove the channel plate, the pump and much more.

You do not really want to do that with the trans still in the car.

I think what it boils down to is this: The tranny will have to come out.

Once out, I would do an overhaul (maybe engine, too?) and replace the broken parts.

Used transmission parts are available on Ebay.

Overhauling a trans is not so difficult as it sounds, there are many videos on the internet which will show you how to do it.

You won`t need a ton of special tools either.

I have done it (on a 4T60E, which is similar), so you can do it, too I think.

Here is a link to a good video:

Sorry fordrodsteven,

but that`is the way it is.

Henning

Ron, Henning,

Thank you. It's really not a question of whether I can do it. I have always felt regarding most anything if another person was capable of doing something then I can do it too. I only ever dabbled very little with automatic transmissions. I have worked on a few standards. Replacing broken/chipped gears and fixing synchros. Even rebuilt a couple complete. So digging in deep into the automatic is new to me but as guys in the shop used to say "Ain't Skeered". I know about keeping work area clean and orderly. I used to repair and overhaul jet engine fuel controls and afterburner controls. Not a doubt in my mind I can do it. It just really bothers me because I was trying to just fix a little old E031 code by replacing the park/neutral switch and now it has blown up into removing the transmission. This is a car that currently has a "for sale" sign hanging in the back window. I was hoping to get a couple grand (or a little less) for the car. Now I have to dump in MORE money and labor so I can get it back on the market.

BTW Henning. I will be updating my Intermediate cable thread tomorrow. I got a cable made and it was delivered today. I'll put it on tomorrow to insure fit / function then I'll post with pics. afterwards.

fordrodsteven,

I have been in your position a few weeks ago.

My 2001 Chrysler Sebring 2.7 convertible died on me shortly after a full engine and transmission rebuild.

I did not have the resources to pull everything apart again so I gave the car away almost for free.

The way your car is now, I would not even dare to crank the engine.

The detent lever and nut (parts 704 and 705) came loose inside the trans and those parts are located in the upper part of the transmission housing.

When you crank the engine a lot of stuff inside the transmission starts to turn and the loose parts can cause a lot of trouble.

Thanks for keeping me updated on the brake cable.

Have fun

Henning

I started getting ready to remove the transmission. I fabricated an engine support fixture today. I bought some two inch square tubing and then cut up an old plow frame that was laying around in the garage. I think it will work nicely!

eng suppt overview front small.jpg