Stalled While Driving

Top Down

My '90 Reatta just gave me an unpleasant surprise.    After making a lefthand turn from a stoplight, the car lost power and just died while I was driving.   I coasted to the next stop light, and was able to start the car after several attempts.   Prior to this nasty, the only problem that the car exhibited was a rough idle when starting while the engine was still warm.   Cold starts are no problem as the car starts on the 1st crank.   Warm starts are now problematic requiring several attempts and then the rough idle.   Over the last year the car has had a new fuel pump and filter, ignition module, plugs, coils, vacuum line check, and new intake manifold gasket.   I plan on taking the car in for service unless I can get some idea as to this problem..........don't like the idea of driving if the engine may stall at any time.

The symptoms sound like a failing crank sensor. Can you check for spark when it fails to start? Conventional wisdom is the sensor either works or it doesn't but I have had personal experience with one that healed itself over and over. You could try pouring cold water over the sensor when it fails and see if that revives it to confirm.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Top Down said:

My '90 Reatta just gave me an unpleasant surprise.    After making a lefthand turn from a stoplight, the car lost power and just died while I was driving.   I coasted to the next stop light, and was able to start the car after several attempts.   Prior to this nasty, the only problem that the car exhibited was a rough idle when starting while the engine was still warm.   Cold starts are no problem as the car starts on the 1st crank.   Warm starts are now problematic requiring several attempts and then the rough idle.   Over the last year the car has had a new fuel pump and filter, ignition module, plugs, coils, vacuum line check, and new intake manifold gasket.   I plan on taking the car in for service unless I can get some idea as to this problem..........don't like the idea of driving if the engine may stall at any time.

Not saying this is the problem, but my 89 struggled on warm starts if throttle wasn't applied right away and would stumble or stall coming to a stop or starting from a stop.

For me, it was the idle air control valve.

2seater's suggestion appears to have hit the target.   Crank sensor was replaced today and the car appears to be running okay.   Mechanic was able to get the car to stall when trying to start while the engine was hot.   Evidently my crank sensor was in the process of dying for awhile.......always revived when the engine was cool/cold and then went to snooze when the engine was warm/hot (sometimes).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for letting us know. We all benefit when we share information about what fixed a problem.

• Agree 2