Should i get this Reatta?

Tag

So I'm looking for a new car and found a reatta on facebook marketplace. I got the guy down to 2,000 dollars for it, but I'm not sure its worth it for me since i don't know a ton about working on cars.

Biggest red flag for me is it has almos 200k miles, they claim it has all new parts and i saw some new parts in it for sure. Break system was recently replaced, but I'm still going to need to do a lot of work on weatherstripping and there is moisture in the car. And i will have to fix something with the break lights and a bit of rust on the roof of the car.

Is it worth it? I'm in college and need to drive back and forth a lot.

I'm curious how many miles is too many, even with significant new parts?

20230318_141439.jpg

1 hour ago, Tag said:

... I'm not sure its worth it for me since i don't know a ton about working on cars.

Welcome to the forum! Probably the wrong car for you since you need a dependable daily driver. Reattas are good cars but they are also 30 years old so it's not easy to find someone who knows how to work on them. Moisture inside the car is a pretty good indication that you might have electrical problems down the road if you buy it. A lot of the wires run through the floorboards beneath the seats where they can get wet causing bad connections.

• Agree 2

If a good mechanic (or related to one) it makes a great toy but not a daily driver. I had a station wagon in college and was great. Of course it may have been a GTO.

Remember the old saying "looks can be deceiving"..................

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I decided to pass on that particular car but somehow managed to find another person selling one,  is 90,000 miles a safer bet? I haven't seen it in person yet but i see that it seems to only need a new paint job

Here is my 2 cents on buying a Reatta and looking for dependable transportation.   

1.    Be ready to spend $$ for repairs as they will be inevitable on a 30 year old car.

2.   Be prepared to get your hands dirty for various do-it-yourself repairs

3.   Have access to alternate transportation as needed 

4.   Be thorough on reviewing all repair receipts provided by the seller

5.   Pass on any car with rust or damaged windshield

6.   Good luck and keep your fingers crossed !!!

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Tag said:

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I decided to pass on that particular car but somehow managed to find another person selling one,  is 90,000 miles a safer bet? I haven't seen it in person yet but i see that it seems to only need a new paint job

What year is this Reatta? 90,000 miles is low, and for most mechanical issues you could be in a good place. I drive a Reatta everyday, but have invested in numerous parts for inventory. I have an extra; water pump, serpentine belt, alternator, radiator, ECM, BCM, Mass Air Flow sensor, Idle Control sensor, spark plugs, wires, Ignition Module/coil pack, throttle body, power steering pump, Crank sensor, Cam sensor, Oil Pressure sensor, Fan module. These are items that used to be stocked at Automotive Parts houses, but not anymore, so at least a 1-2 day wait. Then there are the Reatta only items, Touch screen [88/89 year] Temperature Control module, Instrument Panel, Steering column, Headlight switch, Headlight Motor, Teves Accumulator, Teves Pressure Switch, Wheel Speed Sensors. Jim Finn usually has all the Reatta exclusive parts at fair prices but he is at least a 3-4 day turn around. 

About the only things that are common and same day pick up is fuses and relays.

Oh and by the way make sure that both front and rear struts are in good shape. They are hard to find with some of guys here trying to come up with alternate products for these discontinued items.

So either build an inventory to be able to drive every day or have alternate transportation available.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

What year is this Reatta? 90,000 miles is low, and for most mechanical issues you could be in a good place. I drive a Reatta everyday, but have invested in numerous parts for inventory. I have an extra; water pump, serpentine belt, alternator, radiator, ECM, BCM, Mass Air Flow sensor, Idle Control sensor, spark plugs, wires, Ignition Module/coil pack, throttle body, power steering pump, Crank sensor, Cam sensor, Oil Pressure sensor, Fan module. These are items that used to be stocked at Automotive Parts houses, but not anymore, so at least a 1-2 day wait. Then there are the Reatta only items, Touch screen [88/89 year] Temperature Control module, Instrument Panel, Steering column, Headlight switch, Headlight Motor, Teves Accumulator, Teves Pressure Switch, Wheel Speed Sensors. Jim Finn usually has all the Reatta exclusive parts at fair prices but he is at least a 3-4 day turn around. 

About the only things that are common and same day pick up is fuses and relays.

Oh and by the way make sure that both front and rear struts are in good shape. They are hard to find with some of guys here trying to come up with alternate products for these discontinued items.

So either build an inventory to be able to drive every day or have alternate transportation available.

Hey Thanks, so this new one is a 1990 so it doesnt have a touch screen display for better or worse.

Owner said he has done some recent work on it in the last 2 years, specifically new brakes and tires.

He said he comfortably takes it on 100 mile trips.

I know it depends from car to car, but about how much work should i expect to do In a given year? (And ballpark about how much should i expect to pay) And how much would i be able to do and diagnose myself?

Thanks for the tip about the struts, is there anything else i should look for? Guy claims its in pristine condition but just needs clearcoat and a new paint job. Hes asking 4,500 but I dont think thsts firm. (I havent been able to visit it yet and wont to for a few weeks so it may not even be available at the time)

Sorry Tag. I gave you what you need to know, it's your decision from here on in...