'90 vs '91 Convertible Cowl Shaking

Top Down

Over the years I have heard that the '91 convertible had cowl shaking problems which resulted in the majority of production being found to be unsuitable for general sale to the public.    I find this rather curious as there were 2142 convertibles in '90 manufactured and the cowl shaking problem evidently did not prevent them from being sold.   I have a stock '90 convertible and there has never been any excessive cowl shaking.   So what is the suspension difference between a '90 and '91 convertible?   I know of only 2 things.   The '91 had corner braces at the front end of the engine compartment and also 16'' wheels instead of the 15" on the '90 convertible.   Would these 2 changes actually make the cowl shaking worse in '91 or am I going down a rabbit trail.............

Well the GTO wing changed dramatically from 69 to 70 when a GM exec dropped one on his fingers. Maybe a GM exec drove a 91 down I-75.

Back in the 70s GM convertibles often added "cocktail shakers" in all four corners to stop "shake". Often wondered why the Reatta did not get them.

That said I had three 90 verts and never noticed any shake.