oil pressure/windshields

fun car guy

Would someone tell me the correct oil pressure should be?  My '89 coupe starts and runs fine but with 170,000 on the clock, I'm hoping it's good for at least another 100,000 as their reputation indicates, mine runs between 45 and 47 psi.  

Also, does anyone have a suggestion about where to get a windshield replaced?  Should I supply one or would it be best to let them supply it, I've heard it's difficult to find someone because or liability issues.  I'm near Lansing Mich., the birthplace of all Reattas.

2 hours ago, Padgett said:

Believe the spec is 40 psi at 1800 rpm hot.

Did you check with Safelite ?

Thanks very much, Padgett! 

This makes me feel even better as I've been working on mine doing the brakes but haven't yet done a compression test.  I know it's had three older owners and I have a ton of repair receipts so I'm pretty sure it's been well cared for and not molested.  As to the windshield, mine has a nasty stone strike, hasn't spread as yet but eventually I'll be replacing it.  Some will say I'm a fool to spend so much time and money but then, as the t-shirt says, they just don't understand.

34 minutes ago, fun car guy said:

As to the windshield, mine has a nasty stone strike, hasn't spread as yet but eventually I'll be replacing it.

If it's not in line of sight, I think Safelite or one of the other glass companies can do a repair to stop it from getting worse.

• Agree 2

I had Safelite replace my Reatta windshield, although that was back in 2013....  parts/labor/tax came to $1164.27.

1 minute ago, Padgett said:

In Florida most windshield are free if you have comprehensive insurance.

Same here in MA, and my insurance footed the bill although with a MA mandated $300 deductible.

I have Hagety Ins. on my Reatta with zero deductible on everything. My question is, what happens if no new windshield is available? Does the ins. company just pay you the estimated cost of replacement and send you on your merry way? OR, are they responsible for finding a used windshield and having it installed? How does it work?

If you can't find a windshield, it's probably a "total loss." ACV (actual cash value) means replacement cost aka market value. Good reason for having speciality insurance on "agreed value" basis. As stated above, best to have the chip repaired. Many insurance companies waive the Comprehensive deductible if repaired instead of replaced. Check with your insurance company or agent.

Good luck with however you proceed. If repaired, the sooner, the better.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 5:12 PM, fun car guy said:

Would someone tell me the correct oil pressure should be?  My '89 coupe starts and runs fine but with 170,000 on the clock, I'm hoping it's good for at least another 100,000 as their reputation indicates, mine runs between 45 and 47 psi.  

Also, does anyone have a suggestion about where to get a windshield replaced?  Should I supply one or would it be best to let them supply it, I've heard it's difficult to find someone because or liability issues.  I'm near Lansing Mich., the birthplace of all Reattas.

So here's the stone damage on my '89 coupe.  Does anyone have an idea other than replacement?

0.jpg

On 2/22/2023 at 8:54 PM, Ron Walker said:

If you can't find a windshield, it's probably a "total loss." ACV (actual cash value) means replacement cost aka market value. Good reason for having speciality insurance on "agreed value" basis. As stated above, best to have the chip repaired. Many insurance companies waive the Comprehensive deductible if repaired instead of replaced. Check with your insurance company or agent.

Good luck with however you proceed. If repaired, the sooner, the better.

I can easily find a replacement windshield, the problem, from what I've been told is getting it installed.  It seems most places are squeamish about liability and won't try it.  I say, if that's your business, you should know about and be able to do the job on any car, especially a GM and if they can't, I'll do it myself!

Everything you ever needed to know about oil pressure is in section/page 6A5E-18 of the 89 factory service manual.

That is a nasty chip/fracture. Repair may be impossible. I'd take the vehicle to Safelite and get a recommendation. 

• Agree 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/22/2023 at 10:08 AM, ship said:

I had Safelite replace my Reatta windshield, although that was back in 2013....  parts/labor/tax came to $1164.27.

Now, please explain how you can get most any windshield replaced for$300 or so.  I mean, why so much?

1 hour ago, fun car guy said:

Now, please explain how you can get most any windshield replaced for$300 or so.  I mean, why so much?

Sparse inventory throughout the auto glass industry.  You have to remember, there were just a little over 21 thousand Reattas manufactured during its 4 years.  And, no other autos used the identical glass.

Regarding Safelite, I inquired about getting a replacement windshield 4 months ago and they said NA.  They referred me to another company who searches nationwide for windshields. Their name is Glass Seekers who are located in New York.   I did not pursue finding a windshield as mine is okay except for a 1/16" chip.   However, I just found the piece of note paper with their phone number 800-345-4527.    

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2023 at 8:25 PM, ship said:

Sparse inventory throughout the auto glass industry.  You have to remember, there were just a little over 21 thousand Reattas manufactured during its 4 years.  And, no other autos used the identical glass.

I've found a service willing to do it for $400.00 but only if I supply the windshield, shouldn't be a problem as I live near Lansing, Mi. the home of all Reattas as well as Alante's  and I don't want to hear my car is junk, good only for parts just because the windshield needs replacement!  It would have to be so rusted that it whistles in the wind to destroy it's value.