Ignition switch

Tallicat

Hi All, I tried to start my 89 today and the ignition just spins, it's like it is not clicking or anything. Are there gears inside that it should catch? It will spin all the way to start but not catch the final click if you will. Is the ignition switch or gears in the steering column. Very weird.

I am sure the repair instructions exist in the how-to section but I could not find it🙃 I am pretty sure the rack connected to the ignition key cylinder has broken. This is in the steering column. The actual ignition switch is located lower down on top of the steering column and is operated via a rod connected to the key rack.

I don't remember writing a how-to guide for replacing the ignition rack but it's possible I did. There might be something on the forums about replacing it. I think it was decided that the easiest way fix it is replace the steering column.

This is the part that breaks if that is indeed the problem. Broken rack is on the top. Good one below it.

ignition_rack.jpg

I remember those photos so there must have been a thread somewhere? I didn't look under brakes and suspension🙃

Thanks for responses guys, this is exactly what the problem is. Fortunately I had the car at a repair shop for maintenance when it broke. They took the steering column apart and found it. Ordered the $13 part from a Chevrolet parts warehouse and said it might have 2 hours of labor in it. I can't believe these parts are still in stock.

Thanks to everyone here.

• Like 1

Could you post the part number? I would like to order one for my inventory. Cheaper then buying a column at the local U Pick.

• Agree 2

BTW "gnition just spins" do you mean the key turns and nothing happens or you can hear the starter motor spinning ? If the latter, is a common problem, the Bendix is stuck. May just be able to hit the starter with a hammer.

Dave-

I pick the car up this afternoon and I'll post the part number.

• Like 2

Thanks, because the picture of the helps one in Ronnie's post id the wrong one. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

Thanks, because the picture of the helps one in Ronnie's post id the wrong one. 

Thanks.  Good to know. I'll avoid posting that photo again. I have a  photo of just the broken rack that I should have posted.

ignition_rack-1.jpg

I ordered one as well, but Amazon states it doesn't fit my 1990?? It looks identical to the broken one in the photos above, so my assumption is Amazon is incorrect? 

The reviews state it fit and 88 Reatta and a 90 Eldorado, so fingers crossed.

Edited by 2seater

52 minutes ago, 2seater said:

It looks identical to the broken one in the photos above, so my assumption is Amazon is incorrect? 

It states that it doesn't fit a '89 as well. I think they're probably wrong.

I wish we had some photos and instructions to make a how-to guide for installing.

I ordered two of them. Lots cheaper then buying a steering column. 

If you go to www.car-part.com you will see that the '88/89 column is interchangeable so I am confident that they are the same. Regarding the 1990/1991 columns they may use a different "key" because the columns may be different because of the wiper/washer addition. 

Edited by DAVES89

Interesting to me is that according to car-part the 1990/1991 Reatta/Riviera steering column is the same and interchangeable, but the 1992 /1993 Riviera will not work on the 1990/1991 Reatta/Riviera.