Starter questions

LittleRed

Greetings!

Still working on the Reatta project and now I am on to the engine. I started with the starter. It works but because this car sat in a guys back yard in Minnesota for 5 years, I want to replace it. It has a gear reduction type on it now. Between gear reduction and direct drive, which one is best? Second, It had two shims on it. Should I use them or just direct mount it (with some of the things that I am finding, I am not sure how much I trust whoever worked on it)? Finally, the dust shield is missing. Is it vital to have and if so, where do I get one?

Thanks!

This of course opinion only, but I would stick with the reduction starter. It is lighter, compact and should have less current draw. It is what is on my engine for the last 33 years, 30 0f those being mine. Mine also has two shims and the pattern looks good, so they stay. If you have a local rebuilder you could have it checked out but usually they work or they don't. Unless it is making unusual noises, just look it over for signs of rust or wear on the drive, and run it.

• Agree 3